Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
Under the supervision of the Practice Manager or Practice Administrator, the administrative assistant will primarily perform a variety of front desk duties and clerical duties to which he/she is assigned.
- Work closely with the front desk to assist as needed by answering department phones in a customer friendly and welcoming manner per the policy of Steward Medical Group
- Complete pre visit planning and update patient insurance/demographic information daily
- Schedule and screen intakes as needed to assist front desk
- Check pts in/out at the front desk covering as needed ensuring all demographic & insurance information is updated and a co-pay is collected as well as outstanding balances where applicable
- Work on insurance claims in the hold buckets in a timely fashion for the department of Psychiatry; claims assigned by the Practice Manager
- Track any trends for claim denial issues and research as necessary
- Perform all clerical and secretarial services including typing, photocopying and mail sorting
- Assist in special projects as requested
- Attend department meetings
- Perform other duties as requested
- Maintain confidentiality of patient information per HIPAA
Required Knowledge & Skills:
- The ability to successfully multitask projects is required
- Knowledge of insurance packages, behavioral health preferred
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Prior clerical experience within a hospital or medical practice preferred
- Strong computer skills especially with MS Office and Excel
- Previous experience with EMR preferred