Certified Nursing Assistant
Job Summary: The Nursing Assistant performs basic patient care activities as delegated by the registered Nurse, which assist the nursing staff in providing for quality patient care.
- Performs all patient care activities under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Functions in the role of assistant to the nursing staff or to the Registered Nurse.
- Performs non-nursing functions which impact and contribute to the quality of patient care as directed by the Registered Nurse.
- Provides and maintains a safe and comfortable environment for the patient:
- Assists patients getting in and out of bed.
- Orients patient to call light and side rails, maintains accessibility and answers call light in a timely fashion.
- Stays with restless patients.
- Makes and instructs in the use of cough pillows.
- Assists in the collection of medical data, vital signs.
- Assists the Registered Nurse with specific components of admission, transfer, and discharge of patients:
- Preparation of the unit.
- Transferring patient to bed.
- Assembling patients' belongings.
- Accompanying patients as directed.
- Assists the Registered Nurse with ADLs:
- Partial bed baths, assistance with shower and sit baths, as appropriate for patient.
- Fills water pitchers serves nourishments.
- Records intake and output.
- Assists with collection of specimens.
- Documents vital signs, I&O on appropriate forms.
- Disposes of trash and linen on an ongoing basis.
- May be required to float, within competencies, to other units, as needed.
- Knowledgeable and compliant with infectious diseases policy and procedures:
- Appropriately cares for patients on precautions.
- Uses protective measures as deemed appropriate.
- Separates infectious materials and disposes of them appropriately.
- Complies with Patient Safety goals as set forth by the medical center.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to, recognize, and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School graduate or GED.
- CPR and CNA certification required.
- Previous experience required.
- Successful completion of Nursing Assistant Pre-test.
- Able to communicate verbally and in writing in the English language.
- Able to complete mathematical computations required to perform treatment protocols.
- Able to lift, transfer and move patients.