Job Summary: Performs a variety of duties to maintain infection control standards for the health and safety of patients and medical staff personnel. Responsible for decontaminating, cleaning, processing, assembly, sterilizing, storage and distributing medical/surgical devices and supplies used in patient care.
- Performs duties as a Central Processing Tech independently, works proficiently without supervision and helps train new staff.
- Identifies and uses appropriate methods and solutions to sort, disassemble, decontaminate, rinse and disinfect instruments and clinical equipment.
- Operates and troubleshoots cleaning equipment.
- Appropriately handles garbage, linen, and biohazardous materials. Maintains safety standards.
- Consistently uses recipes to correctly assemble, protect, wrap, containerize and/or peel package and label instruments.
- Identifies and inspects instruments for cleanliness and functionality.
- Properly handles and stores sterile supplies, equipment and instruments.
- Selects appropriate sterilization methods.
- Knows and follows correct principles of sterilization.
- Properly documents and verifies sterilization loads and biological tests to determine the efficacy of the sterilization process.
- Retrieves, disburses and tracks medical and surgical supplies and equipment to the customer in a quality/timely manner.
- Know, uses, maintains and operates the equipment specific to Central Processing, i.e. steam, ETO, V-Pro, Steris System; washer/disinfectors, ultrasonic cleaners and heat sealers as well as a variety of testing devices.
- Knows receiving, stocking and rotating of surgical supplies.
- Communicates supply issues to appropriate personnel in a timely manner.
- Maintains a clean orderly work area.
- Serves as a resource to customers on all Central Processing functions.
- Performs other related job duties as required. Tracks his/her progress and compliance in regards to training, staff meeting and inservice education, etc.
- High School Diploma
- 1 year Central Processing experience or SPD Certification
- MA drivers license
- Medical Terminology
- Knowledge of Basic Anatomy
- Basic Computer Skills required
- Knowledge of Surgical Instrumentation
- Knowledge of Sterilization Processes
- Good Verbal and written communication (in English) being concise by phone and in person.
- Manual Dexterity