EEG Technician - Per Diem
Job Summary: Performs EEGs, ambulatory EEGs, telephone transmission EEGs and multiple sleep latency EEGs. Responsible for recording electrical activity of the patient's brain to study epilepsy, convulsive disorders and localizing lesions in the cerebrum. Performs clerical duties. Participates in performance improvement and continuous quality (CQI) improvement activities.
* Ability to use computerized equipment to perform EEGs.
* Obtains patient's medical history from chart and patient; documents patient information into
computer for report generation.
* Demonstrates the ability to place electrodes on the patient's scalp in the designated areas.
* Demonstrates the ability to monitor and interrupt test results in order to make changes or adjustments
as needed by the physician.
* Responsible for recording and labeling test results EEGs; sends data to physician to interpret.
* Maintains a daily log of all procedures performed.
* Operates equipment safely and correctly; performs preventative maintenance; reports all malfunctions.
* Interacts professionally with patients and/or families; treats patients and families with respect.
* Provides care appropriate to condition and age of patient, neonate through geriatric population.
* Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the
likelihood of medical/health care errors.
* Notifies appropriate licensed personnel when medically necessary.
* Educates patient and family about procedure performed.
* Communicates appropriately and clearly to coworkers, physicians and patients.
* Maintains a good working relationship within the department and with other departments.
* Demonstrates the ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
* Documentation meets current standards and policies.
* Demonstrates the ability and willingness to orient new staff members.
* Basic computer knowledge.
* Ability to monitor EEG wave patterns.
* High School Graduate or equivalent.
* Current BCLS certification.
* Attends continuing education courses/seminars when available.
* A minimum of two years of experience as an EEG technician.