Under the Direction and Supervision of the Laboratory Manager, the phlebotomist is responsible for performing venipunctures, collecting specimens, while assuring the integrity of the specimen and the specimen ID. The Phlebotomist may also be responsible for Data Entry and Processing.
Responsibilities & Duties:
• Enter patient information and laboratory test orders into the Laboratory LIS, checking all patient demographic and Insurance information.
• Create and maintain Standing Orders, which expire after 6 months.
• Drawing patients and processing all specimens in a timely fashion following laboratory procedures for sample acceptability
• Receive bloods from Phlebotomy
• Check rack, matching requisition with specimens, following Specimen Acceptance, Rejection Policy
• After SSTs have clotted, spin for 10 minutes at 1650 RCF (3050 RPM), Na Citrate tubes should be spun at 1650 RCF for 10 minutes
• Follow instructions for send outs per Reference Lab
• For in house specimens, Chemistry tubes are placed in Chem Rack, Special Chem in a separate rack, Coag, CBC, HgbA1c, and urines are brought to the appropriate bench, placing lavender tubes on rockers.
• Specimens received from off-sites are check against requisitions and specimens distributed as notated in # 6, following Specimen Acceptance, Rejection Policy.
• PT Trigger lists are printed once or twice daily (depending on site) and distributed.
• Answer phone, looking up results as needed.
• Troubleshoot Reference Lab problems
• Keep area clean and stocked
• Help Phlebotomy and Data Entry when needed
• Help ready Biohazard boxes for pick up, make new boxes
• Check Daily temperature for Processing refrigerator
• Notify Laboratory Manager and/or Laboratory Director regarding specimen or test problems and any complaints
• Must have High School diploma or equivalent
• Phlebotomy Certificate preferred but not required
• Must complete PHLEBOTOMY TRAINING CHECKLIST, Laboratory Employee training form, LIS training Checklist
•Position located in Beaumont, TX
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 12267