At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
40 hour 7:00am-3:30pm
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for all therapeutic functions within the realm of his/her associated state issued license. Responsible for the day to day management of the pulmonary services department, including but not limited to; clinical competencies, employee schedules, performance improvement initiatives, staff supervision, supply inventory, and maintains blood gas lab, (assisting with monthly reporting, monitors maintenance/performance of equipment). Contributes to the efficient operation of the department, ensuring quality and continuity of patient care. Assists in the clinical training of students assigned and is responsible for their oversight during clinical assignment, acting as a liaison between the hospital and school. Works with the director to establish goals, priorities and performance standards as well as monitors quality, performance and customer service on an ongoing basis in order to achieve optimal effectiveness and efficiency consistent with department. Participates in a variety of hospital wide committees. Models effective leadership behaviors to achieve organizational outcomes. Works in conjunction with the director and creates an effective team, which emphasizes quality management and efficient, cost effective operations.
- Monitors and maintains accurate operational summary and statistics for variance justification to Director
- Oversees the processing of payroll for staff, including approving all requests for time off. Assures time and Kronos records are completed accurately and maintained.
- Facilitates employee attendance at monthly staff meetings, and ensuring employees review the minutes.
- Ensures staff awareness of and adherence to hospital-wide and departmental policies.
- Provides direct oversight, assistance, support, and problem resolution to respiratory staff in all aspects of respiratory care, including organization, assignment, and coverage of workloads.
- Reviews staff self-schedule process and ensures adequate staffing levels, using both budgeted and per diem staff.
- Responsible for resolving vacant shifts and unexpected call outs.
- Performs employee performance tracking and evaluation; resolves employee issues and follows Hospital disciplinary policy as necessary.
- Involved in the recruitment for the department, including interviewing, selecting candidates and working closely with the Director and Human Resources.
- Submits requested documentation on work assignments, overtime authorization, operating and capital budgets on time and ensures the department operates within budget.
- Works cooperatively and collaboratively with co-workers and other departments to deliver the most efficient services with appropriate and timely resolution of concerns/issues.
- Actively participates in the orientation and training of new employees and students in the proper use of equipment according to department protocol.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the principles of respiratory therapy, anatomy, medical terminology, sterile technique, as required for performance of technical duties.
- Promotes a spirit of cooperation through frequent communication with staff.
- Responds rapidly and effectively to emergency situations, demonstrating ability to manage self, patients, and others.
- Remains in control and supportive of patients, staff and others as workload and stress escalate.
- Does not allow unimportant interruptions to waste time at the expense of assigned duties and patient care
- Provides constant counseling, coaching and evaluation of respiratory students, monitoring productivity and morale levels in order to promote professional development.
- Performs all necessary QC procedures, staff trainings, surveys, and maintains all necessary documentation in accordance to regulatory requirements
- Encourages all staff to work as interdependent members of a team in supervisor’s absence as well as appropriate problem-solving and proper notification of concerns/issues.
- Fosters interdisciplinary, collaborative relationships within the department and the organization.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Recent acute critical care experience/demonstrated clinical excellence
- Effective communication
- Exhibited leadership ability, motivational, critical thinking, and team-building skills
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and oral communication skills
- Ability to work closely and productively with other members of an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to work independently and take initiative with accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to analyze operational issues and solve them creatively
- Customer service
- Organizational, time management and multi-tasking ability required
- Enthusiastic and optimistic and displays a “can do” attitude.
- Education: Degree appropriate to area of concentration required.
- Experience (Type & Length): Three to five years leadership experience required
- Certification/Licensure: Certification by the National Board of Respiratory Care and License in Respiratory Care by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Software/Hardware: Microsoft applications, Meditech.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.