Recreation Therapist, (PRN)- variable shifts
RECREATIONAL THERAPIST (PRN)- CENTER FOR BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
We believe our people are our strength and we take our employees’ health seriously. From medical coverage and life insurance to retirement plans, paid time off and much more, Steward Health Care provides you with a variety of benefits to address your unique needs.
- Low Cost parking
- Up to 20% employee discount-Gift shop, onsite Café and Cafeteria
The Recreational Therapist in Behavioral Medicine is responsible for providing a wide variety of recreation and leisure programs and services to patients in order that social, physical and cognitive functioning be maximize and a desirable quality of leisure life be attained. The Recreational Therapist collaborates with the interdisciplinary treatment team to promote an integrated approach to psychiatric services.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1.Consistently supports and communicates the Mission, Vision and Values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the St. Joseph Medical Center Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI).
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and employees through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Facilitates Departmental operations through completion of all patient logs, charge requisitions, and there paperwork.
5. Ensures implementation of operational standards which promote the maintenance of patient rights including, informed consent, identification and reporting of any suspected patient abuse, explanation of treatment processes, maintenance of patient confidentiality, ethical considerations and handling of patient complaints.
6. Evaluates assigned patients, gathering data from a variety of sources, such as patient records, interviews, observation, and team members. Written assessment is completed per regulatory agency content and timeline requirements.
7. In accordance with patient's assessment and physician prescriptions, develops treatment plans for assigned patients including specific goals and activities. Treatment plan is completed per regulatory agency content and timeline requirements. Re-evaluates and modifies plan at periodic intervals and as necessary. Treats assigned patients and guides individual patients in selection of appropriate activities. Leads specialized activities.
8. Plans and implements small group activities, special events and entertainment.
9. Communicates scheduled activities to patients verbally and uses a variety of modalities to encourage participation.
10. Communicates special event activities to interdisciplinary team members.
11. Prepares written documentation as required by the profession and the Department, such as evaluation results, individualized treatment plans, progress reports, and other such reports.
12. Properly administers patient treatments according to evaluation results and parallel to treatment plan, as indicated by patient progress, adherence to Departmental procedures, and proper application of all skilled techniques.
13. Enter charges, accurately and timely. Turns in charge sheet for reconciliation before end of shift.
14. Establishes an effective rapport with patients; interacts with them in a considerate and supportive manner. Responds to questions appropriately.
15. Discusses treatment plans and patient progress with physicians and superior; recommends alterations to the treatment plan when considered advantageous to therapy purpose. Reviews patients’ progress with other members of the patient care team.
16. Confers with patients and families regarding discharge planning; i.e. patient's level of functioning in terms of social and leisure activities and continuing care needs.
17. Proficient in the utilization of all recreational therapy equipment in the department. Assists in the maintenance of all equipment in the Department, including cleaning and minor repairs, and trouble shootings for problems.
18. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by STEWARD and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the IASIS Standards of Conduct and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Regional Compliance & Safety Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
19. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Previous experience in hospital psychiatric environment preferred.
- Certified Recreational Therapist or Therapeutic Recreational Specialist or eligible to sit for exam.
- Current American Heart Association Basic Life Support certification required.
- Current CPI certification or must be obtained within 30 days of hire.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- Bachelor's Degree in Recreational Therapy or related field with emphasis in recreation therapy or recreation and leisure studies.
- Technical, critical thinking and interpersonal skills relevant to Behavioral Medicine in order to effectively communicate with physicians, team members, patients and families.
- Ability to prioritize work with minimal supervision, in order to independently carry out the duties of the position.
- Able to communicate effectively, in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.