Social Worker Geriatric Psychiatric Unit - FT
Job Summary: Responsible for providing social service and discharge planning functions for the Geriatric Psychiatric Unit. Provides resources for patients and support to the multi-disciplinary term. Maintains performance improvement activities within the department and participates in CQI activities.
- Responsible to perform psychosocial assessments on Medicare, Medicaid and high-risk patients to determine social service and discharge planning needs; always documents assessments.
- Ability to communicate with physician regarding social service and discharge planning needs of the patient. Assists the physician to facilitate post-hospital care.
- Maintains current knowledge of resources available within the community, maintains referral list that can be provided to the patient/caregiver. Is able to obtain other resources as needed.
- Communicates with family members and caretakers regarding the needs of the patient and anticipated plans.
- Collaborates with Utilization Management Coordinator and other members of the healthcare team to provide for psychosocial assistance or optimum post-discharge services.
- Treats patients and families with respect and dignity. Identifies and addresses psychosocial needs of patient and family.
- Manages and operates equipment safely and correctly. (Non-Essential)
- Interacts professionally with patient/family and involves patient/family in the formation of the plan of care.
- Acts on performance improvement issues identified during CQI meetings or by the LCSW consultant.
- Actively participates in Utilization Management Committee, CQI, varying team meetings and other meetings, as appropriate.
- Maintains and respects confidentiality of patient/physician/personnel information.
- Demonstrates an ability to be flexible, organized and function under stressful situations.
- Maintains a good working relationship both within the department and with other departments.
- Consults other departments as appropriate to collaborate on patient care and performance improvement activities.
- Accurately determines type of assistance/setting/resources necessary for the patient/family and provides appropriate resources/assistance/list of facilities.
- Documentation meets current standards and policies.
- Bachelors in Social Work
- Licensed as SW
- One (1) year of experience in a medical setting.