Unit Secretary - Per Diem (11a-7:30p); Every Saturday OR Sunday
A Unit Secretary performs clerical and receptionist duties in an assigned area to meet unit needs.
Responsible to Nurse Manager and or and Administrative Manager, and/or Charge Nurse on any given shift; collaborates with peer group and Nursing Administration through the Lead Secretary.
- Graduate of an accredited high school.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Knowledge of medical terminology, preferred.
- One year clerical experience, computer skills required.
- TEAM WORK
- Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
- Is supportive of others and provides help and assistance when possible.
- Regularly attends and participates in team and/or department meetings and work activities.
- Keeps others informed.
- Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
- SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
- Welcomes patients and customers in a warm, friendly manner.
- Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
- Ensures the dignity of patient/customer is maintained at all times.
- Abides by and upholds the Hospital Service Excellence Standards.
- Respects the diversity of the patient/customer population (i.e. ages and culture).
- Receptionist Skills
- Receives incoming telephone calls for floors, refers as necessary to appropriate/authorized person. Makes telephone calls.
- Physician consults.
- Other departments for assistance (i.e. Information Systems).
- Inform physicians of admissions.
- Assists the staff by running errands, delivering specimens and paperwork, and checking mail.
- Utilizes appropriate channels of communication within the health care system.
- Demonstrate awareness of patient’s rights to privacy and confidentiality.
- Receives and greets visitors, patients and staff. Responds to questions appropriately, referring items in question to authorized staff.
- Clerical Skills
- Transcribes doctors and nursing orders, in collaboration with and under the direction of the Nurse Manager or charge nurse, after successful completion of orientation to the secretary role.
- Assembles and organizes the Medical Record efficiently in accordance with the Medical Records Department.
- Completes requisitions and/or enters requests into computer order entry.
- Enters unit control data into log books on a daily basis.
- Completes priority duties (admissions, discharges) when covering secretarial absences on other units.
- In the event of a patient discharge or death, informs the appropriate departments, obtains necessary forms and puts charts in order.
- Increases knowledge and use of hospital computer system as new programs are developed.
- Photocopies charts and other information for staff as requested.
- Maintains and orders clerical supplies for the unit.
- Demonstrates safe & effective use of equipment.
- Reports to and begins work promptly.
- Gives adequate notice of absenteeism or tardiness.
- Appearance is professional in accordance with the dress code.
- Asks appropriate questions within job description, if an unfamiliar circumstance
- Performs work of equal skills, effort, and responsibility as directed.
- Participates in Quality Improvement activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Maintains annual employee education record and attends required educational offerings, (i.e. safety).