Addictions Nurse Specialist
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Integrates strong medical/ surgical and mental/ behavioral health nursing skills with knowledge of addictive diseases and treatments to optimize patient care and recovery outcomes.
- Educates nursing staff, physicians and other disciplines
- Educates the Fall River community and community partners
- Assesses patient/ family needs
- Collaborates with patient/ family and appropriate disciplines to develop and manage individualized care plan
- Provides patient/ family education and support
- Provides physician and staff coaching and support to use care plan
- Provides community resources for patients/ families
- Recommends referral to inpatient or outpatient care
- Refers patient/ family to appropriate community resources
Recommends appropriate support during ED encounter and hospitalization to manage withdrawal symptoms, emotional/ behavioral symptoms, and pain.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills
Using a person-centered approach to care, including shared decision making and protecting self-determination, uses motivational interviewing, critical thinking, and the nursing process. Accepts the patient’s unique goals, wishes, spiritual beliefs, culture, and hopes. Offers emotional support and alternate coping strategies, boundary setting, counseling, and advocacy for the patient/ family.
Minimum Education Requirements:
Associate degree from an accredited school of nursing. BSN strongly preferred, MSN a plus.
Minimum Work Experience:
At least 2 years registered nurse or related behavioral health experience
MA RN license and BLS required Certification in addictions specialty (CARN or its equivalent) strongly preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.