Administrative Assistant Oncology Clinic
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Administrative Assistant Hematology/Oncology Clinic
40 hours / Day Shift
Reporting to and directly supporting the department Physician
Performs a variety of secretarial and clerically related patient/physician support to the department .The position covers a wide range of responsibilities that entail a combination of providing direct care and administrative assistance to patients , physicians and other staff in the department . On a daily basis, will perform a wide variety of computer, clerical, scheduling and supply functions with minimal supervision.
- Notifies physician and other practice staff of any missing information related to patient encounters/visits
- Obtains diagnostic reports/medical information from outside sources
- Secures discharge record and/or test/procedure results from source where service was scheduled
- Prepares patient record for office visit and assures that record is complete
- Prepares letters for physician signature
- Greets patients and offers assistance within scope of responsibility
- Answers the telephone in a prompt and courteous manner
- Responds to patient and staff questions in an appropriate manner
- Triages phone calls for appropriate administrative and/or clinical response
- Notifies physician and/or other clinical staff of emergent problems Obtains patient vital signs and records the same in patient chart
- Updates medical/surgical/social history in medical record
- Updates medication list in medical record, gives updated list to patient, and faxes to PCP
- Assist MD with electronic prescription preparation
- Handles triage calls under an RN’s supervision
- Provides patient education information under the direction and supervision of an RN
- Actively participates in the orientation and training of new employees
- Gives instructions to the patient and continually directs and monitors the patient through clear, vocalized instructions/communications.
- Takes the initiative to maintain order and cleanliness throughout the department
- Takes initiative during assigned shift, as patient volume allows, to check for tasks that need to be done and follows through to maintain a professional work area throughout the entire service
- Obtains, documents accurately and relays pertinent clinical/demographic information to alleviate delays and errors ensuring proper procedure is always performed
- Checks patient I.D. and verifies name and date of birth before any procedure or visit is performed
- Maintains security of computer screens and computer information in accordance with departmental procedures, including signing off when not at work station
- Maintains strict confidentiality of sensitive material and information
- Regularly consults with available personnel such as staff Medical Assistants, Administrative Assistants , Registered Nurses lead and Physicans in order to pursue answers to questions or to observe new techniques and procedures; demonstrates a desire to learn more
- Always responds to changes in scheduling quickly and accepts responsibility for this action
- Promotes a spirit of cooperation through frequent communication
- Demonstrates a willingness and ability to assist others as requested, regularly assists in other areas of the department such as: receptionist duties, clerical responsibilities, and other assignments as requested; always uses time for departmental advantage
- Response rapidly and effectively to emergency situations, demonstrating ability to manage self, patients, and others
- Remains in control and supportive of patient, staff and others as workload and stress escalate.
- Regularly maintains and projects to patients a feeling of competency, friendliness, and professionalism – even when under pressure or stress.
- Does not allow unimportant interruptions to waste time at the expense of assigned duties and patient care priorities.
- Promptly notifies supervisor of equipment malfunctions, tags and notifies Biomed
- Performs pre service processes as needed, such as initiate PT 1 form/GATRA transportation, and prior authorization.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Effective communication
- Critical thinking skills.
- Customer service
- Organizational, time management and multi-tasking ability required.
- Enthusiastic and optimistic
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Ability to work independently and use good judgement regarding confidentiality
- Great communication and organizational skills
- Proficient in navigating the internet
- Knowledge and understanding of medical terminology, pathology and oncology
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent required
- Experience (Type & Length): Six months previous experience; with familiarity and medical terminology preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: BLS required
- Software/Hardware: Previous experience with hospital and medical practice billing/scheduling/information systems preferred. Basic computer literacy required. Electronic Medical Record Documentation
Other: Proficient in navigating the internet
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.