Location: Morton Hospital
Posted Date: 5/28/2020
The Emergency Department Services Director is responsible to plan, organize and manage the operation of the assigned unit(s) including staffing and budgeting. Requires experience and commitment to the quality of patient care and patient satisfaction. The Director will provide leadership and direction to the ED staff while promoting teamwork in a multidisciplinary care environment. In addition, the director will collaborate with ED physician leadership in order to optimize patient care, satisfaction and ED operations.
- Provides direction to staff to meet the departmental objectives as well as the objectives of Morton Hospital and Medical Center. Participates in the formulation, implementation and monitoring of departmental goals
- Oversee daily operations on the unit. Coordinates departmental workflow with all team members to ensure safe, effective and efficient work processing.
- Participates in the formulation and implementation of Performance Improvement initiatives
- Participates in the assessment of the department as well as individual educational needs. Plan programs/in-services to meet staff needs. Serve as an expert in the area of specific unit competencies, maintains clinical competencies for assigned clinical areas
- Works collaboratively with physicians to maintain effective operations and high quality services
- Interface with patients and families to ensure that care is consistent with their expectations
- Serves as a professional role model and mentor to staff by responding positively to change while supporting colleagues through the change process
- Oversees various personnel actions including but not limited to hiring, performance appraisals, disciplinary actions, and other related activities
- Ensure budget and resource efficiency and satisfaction with patient care delivery
Management of Time and Resources
- Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame
- Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities
- Develops and maintains efficient working relationships
- Is reliable in respect to attendance
- Is Reliable in respect to punctuality
- Foster teamwork within department and hospital
- Is part of a team effort to insure quality services
- Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns
- Produces quality results
- Continually strives to improve the quality of work
- Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
- Cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion
- Patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately
- Responds to requests in a timely manner
- Handles interruptions in a skillful way
- Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor
- Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer's satisfaction
- Assigns staff to patients knowing the competencies of all staff involved
- Is knowledgeable and is the resource for staff on the 3-11 shift
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Is responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: in-services, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training)
- Attends and participates in staff meetings and in-services and/or reviews documentation as required
- Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring
- Performs analytical and decision making functions with minimal supervision
- Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate
- Demonstrates an understanding of relative Hospital and all-departmental policies and procedures including safety issues
- Possesses awareness of programs/services provided by Hospital and where they are located
- Applies knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patient served, i.e.: infant pediatric, adolescent, adult, and geriatric.
- Integrates, delegates, and coordinates patient care using interdisciplinary approach.
- Delegates responsibilities for care, when applicable, and makes assignments according to skills of caregiver.
- Evaluates patient responses to interventions according to established policy and procedure of Morton Hospital.
- Demonstrates an ability to plan and supervise other patient caregivers in providing patient care on unit while functioning as a professional role model.
- Demonstrates the ability to exercise independent judgment in times of need and emergency situations and evaluates the results of actions taken.
- Administers medication and perform treatments, utilizing principles of aseptic technique to assigned patient according to the established policy and procedure of Morton Hospital.
- Bachelors of Nursing
- 5 to 10 years of acute care in a hospital