At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
Under the general supervision of the Director of Nursing (DON) assumes responsibility for the management of the unit on the assigned shift. Assures quality and continuity of patient care and achieve exceptional customer satisfaction. Supervises and develop staff assigned to the shift/unit. Participates in nursing department planning and coordination. Affectively communicates with the nurse manager, staff, and customers.
- Patient Care Management:
- Assures appropriate patient care management at the unit on the assigned shift. (e)
- Provides clinical and administrative guidance to nursing staff assigned to the shift. (e)
- Serves as unit-based educator, ensuring on-going clinical competence of staff and participating in annual required competency education and documentation.
- Oversees unit orientation for new staff, ensuring competency in care and adjustment.
- Provides on-going education and reinforcement of current and new Hospital policies and procedures, including, but not limited to Wound Care, Restraints, IV care, Infection Control and Handoffs. (e)
- Maintains availability and encourages staff to share patient care issues and concerns, providing hands-on assistance as needed. the development and revision of care plans, and patient and family teaching and documentation. (e)
- Provides clinical oversight to LPNs and nursing assistants.
- Assures customer-focused, quality care. (e)
- Monitors customer satisfaction throughout the hospital stay, addresses issues of concern to the patient and/or significant other and follows up as needed. (e)
- Works closely with patients, significant others, and staff in seeking solutions to ethical/legal issues; accesses appropriate resources as needed.
- Works closely with staffing seeking continuous improvement in programs and practices. (e)
- Actively participates in a quality assessment and performance improvement activities (e)
- Performs on-going quality monitoring activities as directed to ensure unit compliance with policies and procedures, including, but not limited to: restraints, wound care, infection control, and hand-offs. (e)
- Collects, collates, and reports data in meaningful format to appropriate groups. ii. In collaboration with the nurse manager and others, takes appropriate steps to improve compliance and patient care.
- Maintains ongoing dialogue with DON regarding clinical/staff/quality/safety concerns.
- Maintains knowledge of regulatory requirements related to patient care, including The Joint Commission and Department of Public Health/CMS. Takes steps to ensure unit compliance with these standards.
- Serves as a member of the Nursing Quality Council, providing leadership and mentoring as needed.
- Collaborates with DON to assure that all incidents are recorded and analyzed for trends or patterns and are acted upon as necessary. (e)
- Collaborates with DON to monitor and address issues related to quality/delivery of contracted services from host hospital.
- Participates in department and/or Sinai and host hospital performance improvement or research.
- Provides appropriate resources to meet the needs of the patient population.
- Maintains ongoing knowledge and assessment of clinical needs of patients. (e)
- Assists DON to develop and maintain a staff schedule for the assigned shift. (e)
- Assures that all care delivered is prescribed, delegated, and coordinated by registered professional nurses. (e)
- Assures that appropriate assignment of personnel is accomplished according to patient needs and consistent with staff member's level of competence. (e)
- Collaborates with colleagues and appropriate department heads at Sinai and/or host hospital to ensure patients' needs are met in a timely, coordinated, and cost-efficient manner. (e)
- Serves as liaison with the interdisciplinary team.
- Maintains positive, collaborative relationships with all members of the team, including physicians, PAS, therapists and others.
- Fosters and facilitates positive relationships and interactions between staff and the interdisciplinary team, addressing any behaviors that may impact patient care.
- Serves as liaison between disciplines to ensure optimum communication and patient care.
- Reviews medical record documentation including follow through of consultant recommendations and communicates with the Iv1D/PA/NP as needed.
- Attends daily provider rounds, encouraging staff nurses' active participation.
- Proactively communicates with and educates interdisciplinary staff on policy and practice changes
- In collaboration with the Wound Care Team, serves as unit-based wound and skin care resource.
- Ensures unit compliance with Wound Care Policies and Protocols.
- Actively participates in weekly Wound Team Rounds.
- Reviews and participates in staging of each new or worsening wound or pressure ulcer with staff.
- Monitors compliance with documentation requirements.
- Advises staff on care and preventative measures.
- Ensures Wound Team consult is ordered as indicated.
- Rounds with staff on all patients on a daily and as needed basis, helping staff to identify opportunities to improve patient care including compliance to clinical policies and procedure, Unit Management:
- Collaborates with DON to implement organizational strategic goals on the unit.
- Collaborates with DON to develop unit-based short and long-term goals. Maintains ongoing communication of issues/trends and progress toward goals.
- Plans for, directs, and/or participates in regularly scheduled meetings/conferences with staff and maintains a communication system for the unit.
- Collaborates with DON to monitor financial operations on the unit.
- Maintains awareness of costs and expenditures
- Adjusts staffing relative to census and acuity on the assigned shifts.
- Assures that supplies and services are delivered in the most cost-effective manner.
- Recommends capital expenditures.
- Personnel Management:
- In collaboration with the DON, hires, orients, develops and evaluates nursing staff
- Interviews and assists in the selection of appropriate staff
- Collaborate with DON to assess and evaluate staff performance to ensure that they demonstrate competencies necessary to provide safe and effective care for populations served.
- Evaluates each nursing staff member in collaboration with the DON and takes appropriate corrective action as necessary
- Collaborates with DON to assess specific learning needs of the staff, identifies gaps, and develops and provides programs to meet those needs.
- Assures staff involvement in Sinai committees and educational programs.
- Leadership/Organizational Responsibilities:
- Utilizes DON for consultation, support, and guidance in program planning, professional development, and in seeking appropriate resources.
- Identifies goals for professional development and seeks continuing education opportunities to attain these goals.
- Maintains current knowledge of trends in healthcare, management, quality
- Improvement, legal and legislative initiatives affecting nursing
- Develops and maintains current knowledge of computer programs used in daily unit operations
- Participates in community/professional organizations.
- Contributes to and represents the Department of Nursing and the hospital.
- Attends and participates in Nursing Leadership meetings if requested by the DON and disseminates appropriate information to staff.
- Attends assigned committee/task force meetings and disseminates appropriate information to staff.
- Demonstrates ability and willingness to assume an interim role as need arises.
- Physical Demands:
- Travel to Stoughton site for meetings, trainings, etc.
- Standing or walking 1/2 two one hour at a time for four to five hours per shift.
- Sitting one hour at a time for three to four hours per shift.
- Occasional driving no more than one hour per shift.
- Frequent lifting/carrying (equals up to 1/3 of workday) 0-35 pounds. Device or assist to lift > 35lbs.
- Hand dexterity both left and right for simple grasping pushing, pulling and fine manipulation.
- Frequent bending, twist, turning, reaching above the shoulder and below the waist.
- Use of keyboard 2-4 hours per day.
- Visual and auditory ability to observe changes in patient status.
- Working Conditions:
- Patient environment with exposure to clinical equipment/machinery, medications, cluttered rooms and hallways, noisy environment with frequent interruptions.
- Exposure to infectious illness, body fluids, and cleaning materials.
- Office environment with exposure to chemicals used in an office setting.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Collaboration, leadership, and conflict resolution
- Communication skills oral and written
- Ability to implement evidence-based guidelines
- Knowledge in and ability to conduct data collection and analysis, report writing, and data presentation
- Registered to practice nursing in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- BSN Required.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support expertise desired.
- IV certification
- Minimum of three years hospital-based nursing experience with demonstrated expert clinical competence and leadership ability.
- Commitment to quality patient care, nursing process, and the interdisciplinary team approach
- Active participation in continuing education and professional activities.