Bed Management Coordinator - Patient Access - 24 hours - E/O Weekend, Thurs, Fri
• Review all accounts to verify eligibility and benefits, determine coordination of benefits, and assure appropriate authorization (i.e., pre-certification, referral) is in place s needed.
• Review and troubleshoot all accounts to determine accuracy and patient eligibility for state/federal insurance programs.
• Determine method of payment for elective cosmetic procedures. Collect patient payments prior to service where applicable.
• Monitor and execute all "UR" changes in the computer system. Act on changes in a timely manner. Provide the necessary notification to HIS, BAR, physician, insurance companies and nursing floors.
• Organize and prioritize work to meet insurance plan authorization deadlines.
• Correct patient registration and account information in a timely manner to ensure accurate billing and reimbursement.
• Investigate and pursue any and all sources (i.e. physician, nursing home, employers, relative etc.) of information to determine insurance or other liability coverage.
• Utilize all available payer systems and vehicles i.e., web-site, fax and telephone, for eligibility and authorization processing.
• Review all observation and inpatient accounts, and serve as a reminder to the UR Case Manager of length of stay requirements. Coordinate the transfer of information to QA/UR in a timely manner.
• Provide notification of non-covered services to patient/physicians' office (i.e. Medicare outpatient dental, cosmetic, nutrition).
• Coordinate with physicians' offices the submission of the notification of service to the insurance company.
• Enter BAR notes to reflect all insurance verification activities and outcomes. Review patient registration and account details for effective insurance verification processing.
• Follow-up on denied accounts by assisting in the appeals process.
• Refer self pay or under-insured patient to the appropriate Medical Assistance Financial Counselors in a timely manner.
• Is able to perform basic registration functions.
• Make recommendations to improve Patient Access Service systems and processes.
• Maintain working knowledge of payor web-site applications used to conduct eligibility and authorization processing.
• Create a friendly caring environment by being considerate to coworkers and outside consultants/out reach worker.
• Be compassionate to patient's concern regarding their insurance coverage and questions that they might have.
• Respond to questions in a timely manner
• Adheres to Medical Center dress code promoting a good image of themselves, their department and the Medical Center
Required Knowledge & Skills:
Reception/office or other healthcare experience required. Medical setting and medical terminology preferred. Previous computer entry / word processing experience required. Meditech knowledge helpful. Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.
High School diploma or equivalent.
Previous computer entry / word processing experience required. Meditech knowledge helpful. Strong communication and interpersonal skills required.