Cancer Registrar - Temporary - 20 hours
Please be advised that this position is temporary and based on the current operational needs of the Steward Health Care/Good Samaritan Medical Center. Therefore, the duration of this position is subject to the discretion of Steward Health Care/Good Samaritan Medical Center based on such operational needs.
Under the supervision of the Director of Oncology, coordinates the efficient and effective operation of the Cancer Registry according to established standards. Performs diversified duties regarding the organization and maintenance of the Cancer Registry, including, but not limited to, casefinding, abstracting, and patient follow-up. Performs undefined activities that may be requested, though not anticipated, in order to ensure the ongoing accreditation of the Cancer Program. Provides support for the community outreach activities endorsed by the Cancer Care Committee, which will require an occasional varied work schedule.
- Responsible for identifying all cases of newly diagnosed cancer in accordance with reporting eligibility criteria established by the Massachusetts Cancer Registry (MCR), facility policies and procedures, and American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer (CoC) program standards. Casefinding activities include regular review of pathology reports, dictated reports, and disease index.
- Responsible for abstracting required information from patient records, including demographic data, history of disease, diagnostic procedures, stage and extent of disease, and treatment data. Abstracting is performed utilizing requirements and standards found in the MCR Abstracting and Coding Manual for Hospitals, FORDS Manual, ICD-O-3, AJCC Cancer Staging Manual 7th ed., Collaborative Staging Manual, Seer Summary Staging Manual, and the Multiple Primary and Histology Coding Rules. Ensure that AJCC staging information is documented appropriately by the managing physician in accordance with medical staff rules and regulations. Contact other facilities/providers involved in the care of the patient in order to obtain complete and accurate treatment information as needed. Utilize appropriate edits to prepare abstracted cases for submission to the MCR and the National Cancer Data Base (NCDB).
- Perform follow-up on all living cancer patients in order to obtain end results information on the quality and length of survival. Maintain patient follow-up in accordance with CoC program standards.
- Prepare routine and special statistical reports using Cancer Registry data. Present quarterly update on Cancer Registry activity to the Cancer Care Committee. Assist Director of Oncology in the preparation of quality studies and research projects. Participate in CoC and MCR special studies as required.
- In collaboration with medical staff, select and prepare cases for presentation at weekly oncology conferences. Notify appropriate physicians and surgical residents when cases are scheduled for presentation at conferences. Notify all conference participants in advance of any changes to the conference schedule or agenda. Collaborate with CME Coordinator to ensure conferences meet the requirements for CME credit when applicable.
- Participate in continuing education activities required for maintenance of CTR credential and to remain informed about latest Cancer Registry operational requirements.
- Perform undefined activities that may be requested, though not anticipated, in order to ensure the ongoing accreditation of the Cancer Program. Provides support for the community outreach activities endorsed by the Cancer Care Committee, which will require an occasional varied work schedule.
- All work to be performed in compliance with facility policy and procedures, HIPAA regulation, and the National Cancer Registrars Association Professional Code of Ethics.
Required Knowledge & Skills:
Core Competency Requirements:
Associate’s degree in a health-related field preferred and/or completed Anatomy and Physiology I & II from an accredited institution.
One-year experience working in an approved ACoS Cancer Program preferred.
Certified Tumor Registrar (CTR) or able to pass the CTR examination within one year of date of hire.
Meditech, Elekta/METRIQ, Windows Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)