Central Sterile Processing Tech Certified, FT (3:00pm-11:30pm)
JOB TITLE: STERILE PROCESSING TECHNICIAN (FT, 3:00pm-11:30pm) - STERILE PROCESSING DEPARTMENT
We believe our people are our strength and we take our employees’ health seriously. From medical coverage and life insurance to retirement plans, paid time off and much more, Steward Health Care provides you with a variety of benefits to address your unique needs.
Health & Wellness
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Retirement & Savings
- Tuition Reimbursements
- Loan Repayment
Work & Life Balance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Low Cost parking
- Up to 20% employee discount-Gift shop, onsite Café and Cafeteria
Under the supervision of the Sterile Processing Manager and according to approved policies and procedures the incumbent will assemble case carts containing consumable supplies and instrumentation. Post operatively instruments will be clean/decontaminated, assembled, sterilized and stored until ready to be issued. Consumables will be inventoried, stocked and issued as needed.
1. Consistently supports the hospital’s standards, in line with the Mission, Vision and values of St. Joseph Medical Center.
2. Follows the Guidelines related to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), designed to prevent or detect unauthorized disclosure of Protected Health Information (
3. Promotes a culture of safety for patients and Associates through proper identification, proper reporting, documentation and prevention of medical errors in a non-punitive environment.
4. Cleans/decontaminates surgical instruments, and equipment.
5. Identifies and assembles multiple types of surgical instruments/instrument sets used in twelve different surgical specialties.
6. Inspects instruments, leak tests fiber optic endoscopies and replaces or coordinate repairs with manager, supervisor, or lead tech.
7. Operates steam and sterilize plasma sterilizers.
8. Monitors sterilizers and maintains sterilization records.
9. Monitors and adheres to departmental activities/procedures according to guidelines established by OSHA, AORN and JCAHO.
10. Inventories and stock shelves, and help maintain a clean work environment.
11. Pulls supplies and instruments listed on the physician preference cards and assemble a case cart for each individual surgical procedure.
12. Replenishes emergency carts, exchange carts and issues other supplies and equipment to patient care floors.
13. Supportive of the compliance program set forth by SJMC and demonstrated by:
- Upholds the Code of Ethics and Corporate Compliance.
- Adheres to and helps to enforce all compliance policies relevant to his/her area.
- Assures timely compliance education as requested by the Compliance Officer and/or through corporate initiatives.
14. Sets an example to all staff in their daily activities.
St. Joseph Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and
- Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible.
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS
Education and Work Experience:
One year experience preferred working with surgical supplies and instruments.
Registered Central Service Technician (RCST), Certified Registered Central Service Technician (CRCST), Certified Sterile Processing and Distribution Technician (CBSPD) or must complete certification within one year of employment)
Education & Training:
High school diploma or equivalent.
1. Ability to read and write information communicated via a case cart requisition or count sheet.
2. Ability to follow verbal orders received on the telephone
3. Analytical skills necessary to accurately fill surgical case carts and assemble surgical instrument sets.
4. Ability to perform basic computer functions.
5. Ability to stand and walk approximately eighty percent of the shift.
6. Ability to work with blood and body substance.
Bi or Multilingual
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER MINORITIES / WOMEN / VETERANS / DISABLED