Certified Diabetes Educator
Steward Health Care is the largest private, tax-paying physician-led health care network in the United States. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, Steward operates 35 hospitals in the United States and the country of Malta that regularly receive top awards for quality and safety. The company employs approximately 42,000 health care professionals. The Steward network includes multiple urgent care centers and skilled nursing facilities, substantial behavioral health services, over 7,900 beds under management, and approximately 2.2 million full risk covered lives through the company's managed care and health insurance services.
Steward Medical Group (SMG), Inc. is Steward's multi-specialty group practice with over 4,500 employees including over 1,800 physicians and advanced practitioners. SMG operates approximately 450 practice locations throughout Massachusetts, Southern New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida, Utah, Arizona, Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, and provides more than 4 million patient encounters per year.
The Certified Diabetes Educator participates in the multidisciplinary Diabetes Care Program, demonstrates clinical expertise, develops and teaches diabetes education programs, works with other health professionals and has an interest in fostering professional practice through evidence-based practice.
Under minimal supervision, the Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) is responsible for:
- Educating patients and families on diabetes self-management skills and medical nutrition therapy.
- Works collaboratively with the SMG Endocrinologists and Network Diabetes Coordinator to ensure that all patients that are referred to the Diabetes Program receive specialized training in diabetes management.
- Works collaboratively with all members of the health care delivery team to promote quality patient care.
- The RD, CDE collaborates with physicians on the nutritional management and recommended treatment options for their patients referred for diabetes self-management or medical nutrition therapy.
- Communicates effectively with patients, families/significant others, and members of the health care delivery team.
- Participate on the Diabetes Education Committee and the Advisory Committee.
- Identifies outcomes, planning, implementing and evaluating care by conducting assessments, working with the patient and family to identify educational needs, monitoring patient blood glucose values, providing medical nutrition therapy (MNT) to patients per physician referral, educating on renal disease, thyroid health and the basis of the endocrine system.
- Maintains appropriate communication with physicians and collaborates with other professionals and community resources.
- Focuses on Quality of Care by engaging in ongoing evaluation of effectiveness of the quality of the care.
- Participates in Program Management by providing assistance with Program budget, managing utilization of resources and participating in community programs.
- Collaborates with SMG Specialty Care Endocrinologists and the Diabetes Network Coordinator for meeting requirements of an ADA Recognized Program
- Enters patient information into the Diabetes Registry, actively participates in Diabetes Care Program Educator Committee and Advisory Committee.
- Participates in the Diabetes Care Program quality improvement initiatives.
- Works with SMG Specialty Care Endocrinologists on organizing education classes on site for patients and families during and after normal business hours.
- Adheres to all policies and procedures of the Diabetes Care Program
- Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree preferred
- Experience: 3 years clinical experience as a dietitian providing Medical Nutrition Therapy required; teaching experience highly recommended; 3 years clinical experience as a dietitian providing Diabetes Self-Management Education preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: CDE required.
- Software/Hardware: Strong knowledge in Microsoft Office applications – Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work well with multiple teams and in multiple settings
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Must be a self-starter
- Must be willing to teach classes as appropriate
- Detail oriented with strong multi-task abilities
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including customer service skills
- Must have the ability to effectively provide Medical Nutrition Therapy
- Understands and complies with highest standards of confidentiality