Certified Surgical Tech, Full-Time, Days
Assists with the age appropriate nursing care of the patient in the Operating Room and Day Operative Center. Functions as a member of the surgical team, as a scrub technician. Assists with the preparation of supplies and housekeeping duties. Functions under the direct supervision of a registered nurse.
The Surgical Technologist is directly accountable to the Nurse Manager Surgical Services.
1. Graduate of an approved school.
2. Certification as a surgical technician preferred
3. American Heart Association (AHA) BLS certification required.
4. Excellent verbal communication skills, and ability to maintain patient confidentiality.
1. TEAM WORK A. Involves other departments in project planning and implementation. B. Is supportive of others and provides help and assistance when possible. C. Regularly attends and participates in team and/or department meetings and work activities. D. Keeps others informed. E. Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching. F. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
2. SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external) A. Welcomes patients and customers in a warm, friendly manner. B. Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner. C. Ensures the dignity of patient/customer is maintained at all times. D. Abides by and upholds the Hospital Service Excellence Standards. E. Respects the diversity of the patient/customer population (i.e. ages and culture).
1. Demonstrates skill as the primary scrub technician during surgical procedures.
2. Demonstrates appropriate care and use of sterilizer.
3. Assists during surgical procedures as a second assistant holding retractors.
4. Assists in carrying out the nursing care plan as defined by the registered nurse.
5. Demonstrates appropriate technique when handling sharps.
6. Maintains aseptic technique, wears proper personal protective equipment and handles contaminated waste properly.
7. Utilizes resources to promote and maintain a safe environment for patient care.
8. Demonstrates safe & effective use of equipment.
9. Demonstrates knowledge of fire safety, emergency & infection control policies.
10. Demonstrates interest in and seeks opportunity to learn new skills.
11. Assists in the preparation of the surgical suite for surgery by stocking supplies, cleaning the room and preparing instruments for reprocessing.
12. Demonstrates ability to maintain composure while working under stressful conditions.
13. Performs other activities and duties as assigned.
14. Demonstrates flexibility in patient assignment and works schedule.
15. Reports to & begins work promptly.
16. Give adequate notice of absenteeism or tardiness.
17. Participates in Quality Improvement activities as assigned.
18. Follows Norwood Hospital policies.