I. Position Function:
The Clinical Leader is a Registered Nurse who assumed the responsibility and accountability for the coordination and leadership of a nursing unit during a specific shift.
The Clinical Leader provides the assistance, continuity and presence needed to support the Patient Care Director in carrying out programs to accomplish excellence in patient care, and the strategic patient-focused redesign initiatives.
II. Job Relationships:
Reports directly to the Patient Care Director.
Works collaboratively with physicians, other members of nursing administration, and other disciplines/departments within the Medical Center.
Functional Supervision of the following staff by job category:
- Registered Nurses
- Licensed Practical Nurses
- Nursing Assistants
- Other ancillary personnel
- Unit secretaries
Has the authority and responsibility to coordinate all nursing care activities on the unit.
Has the authority and responsibility to carry out all duties assigned by the Patient Care Director.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
- Functions as a role model in assigned clinical specialty, demonstrating competency in
clinical judgment, selected technical skills and appropriate knowledge base.
- Responds in a knowledgeable and effective manner in emergency situations.
- Provides direct care to individual patients based on unit needs.
- Manages patient flow, such as expected admissions, discharges, transfers, and other unit
- Matches skill level with patient needs in staff assignments.
- Maintains own clinical knowledge of patient population and delegates patient care activities
- Exhibits flexibility and creativity in managing resources in response to changing patient and
- Monitors nursing care and practice standards in relation to expected outcomes. Initiates
corrective action utilizing appropriate channels.
- Works collaboratively with Patient Care Director to facilitate the initiation, evaluation and
revision of patient care plans/care maps and assists in reduction of length of stay.
- Anticipates and plans for staffing/patient care needs for the next shift based on census and
- Maintains good public relations by serving as liaison between patients, families, and the
health care team.
- Assures patient confidentiality and maintains the Patient Bill of Rights.
- Accountable for the implementation, data collection and evaluation of all unit-based CQI
- Complies with patient safety goals as set forth by the Medical Center.
- Assists the Patient Care Director in the development and implementation of the fiscal plan.
- Collaborates with MD and other disciplines in identifying and monitoring cost reduction
efforts for the unit and organization.
- Adjusts staffing to meet patient needs within established fiscal parameters.
- Collaborates with all disciplines over non-wage reduction initiatives.
- Creates a positive work environment recognizing the unique contribution of each individual.
- Supports an interdisciplinary professional atmosphere.
- Recognizes escalating stress on the unit and will provide/obtain the appropriate support as
- Ensures the following indirect care activities are completed and delegates appropriate staff
- members towards their completion: checking code carts, defibrillator, patient environment
for safety, and patient rooms for available supplies.
- Demonstrates advanced critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrates ability to use alternative approaches to view situations requiring creative
- Enhances decision-making capabilities by utilizing operational knowledge of other areas
in the hospital.
- Facilitates conflict resolution using critical thinking skills.
- Collaborates with previous RN prior to the beginning of the assigned shift to evaluate the
assignment and adjusts appropriately.
- Prepares assignment for next shift according to unit standard, giving consideration to patient
- Assists the Patient Care Director to recruit, interviews, select and gives feedback re: nursing
- Provides input to the Patient Care Director and displays a willingness to focus and work
toward a resolution of staff issues on an ongoing basis.
- Participates in development of daily and monthly scheduling.
- Assists in coordinating staff meetings, and disseminates information.
- Utilizes the established resource tool for shift report relaying any problems/issues to the
next resource nurse. Will be responsible for updating the resource tool as necessary.
- Submits monthly reports of all CQI findings/recommendations to Patient Care Director an
Professional Growth and Development:
- Consistently serves as a role model of professionalism and accountability for practice.
- Encourages and supports staff participation in unit and hospital projects, task forces and
- Cognizant of policy and procedure changes and keeps staff updated as appropriate.
- Maintains unit specific certifications in a timely manner, for example, CPR, defibrillation, etc.
- Participates in continuing education through attendance and/or participation in in-services,
grand rounds, seminars, and conferences.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
V. Reporting Requirements:
Reports all significant clinical issues and activities to the Patient Care Director and/or ACN.
Reports any significant issues or activities to the appropriate department or discipline.
Is accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all Medical Center-related, medical staff-related, and patient-related data and information.
Is accountable for abiding by all relevant Medical Center policies and procedures.
Is accountable for adhering to the budget.
Is accountable for supporting the development and maintenance of the staff's clinical competence.
BSN preferred or evidence of enrollment in an accredited BSN program with a written plan for expected date of completion.
Minimum of three years current clinical experience
Strong clinical expertise and demonstrated leadership ability.
Current licensure in Massachusetts as a registered nurse.