- I. Financial Performance Improvement
- Demonstrates solid understanding and judgment of what optimal standards are in relation to their field.
- Translates hospital goals into operational practice.
- Consistently maintains knowledge of current standards in the health care industry.
- Recognizes when quality is compromised.
- Corrects situations and uses this as an opportunity for improvement.
- Collaborates with department director in setting realistic long-and short-term goals consistent with organizational needs and priorities.
- Actively participates in development of process to measure quality of service provided, assists in collection of data, and provides opportunity for staff to participate in the process.
- Shares information with staff and utilizes these findings to enhance quality of service provided.
Budget Awareness and Support
- Promotes staff awareness and staff education regarding budget process cost containment and cost saving techniques within the department
- Maintains awareness of current inventory of supplies and equipment.
- Recognizes limitations of departmental budget and works within the constraints.
Budget Process and Development
- Makes recommendations for capital and small expenditures, staff mix and contracts, with consideration to projected volumes and needs.
- Maintains knowledge base of budget development and provides appropriate data to director as required.
- Collaborates with director in review of financial reports, as needed.
- Demonstrates appropriate utilization of staff resources, including overtime evaluation and daily departmental staffing needs with consideration given to volume fluctuations.
- Monitors and evaluates usage of supplies and equipment.
- Supports the director in effectively managing the department within budgetary constraints.
- II. Leadership/Management SkiliManagement, Operational Clinical/Technical
Management, Operational, Clinical, Technical
- Demonstrates awareness of current departmental needs based on a thorough understanding of day to day operations.
- Serves as a professional role model for all of staff.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of current technical and clinical skills.
- Recognizes role as a resource to staff.
- Displays ability to identify operational problems and utilizes appropriate actions and communications to resolve them productivity
- Works collaboratively with department director, staff and other departments in operationalizing and supporting productivity goals.
- Maintains a proper balance between service delivery, supervision and administrative responsibilities.
- Can adapt readily to change.
- Is diversified and flexible in meeting the needs of department and hospital.
- Is a role model to staff in relation to timeliness, dependability, and use of clinical, technical resources appropriately.
- Coaches staff to insure department's productivity and provide feedback to staff and department directors.
- Demonstrates an ability to create an atmosphere of mutual respect, which is conducive to and fosters motivation of staff to work at optimal efficiency, while maintaining effectiveness of services and outcome.
- Committee Participation
- Understands and supports the goals and outcomes of the committee.
- Participates on assigned committee by consistently meeting standards of attendance, timely completion of assignments and openly expressing ideas.
- Contributes toward creating a positive working environment among members, provides two-way communication between committee and staff/supervisors.
- Facilitates staff support and involvement.
- Supports hospital functions by donation, participation and/or attendance.
- Facilitates and encourages staff participation and attendance at hospital functions.
- Promotes Morton Hospital by participating in Community Outreach programs, facilitating community support groups, and/or participating in professional/community organizations.
Clinical Technical Functions
- Regularly maintain clinical/technical/managerial competency and expertise.
- Demonstrates effective judgment and decision making relative to clinical or technical issues.
- Plans and maintains an appropriate blend of staff and physical resources which follows hospital policies and procedures to accomplish departmental and hospital -wide mission.
- Demonstrates the ability to manage a crisis.
- Provides the staff support and direction in a crisis situation.
- Serves as a positive role model and clinical resource person.
- Uses innovative and creative approaches to enable staff to reach their maximum potential through communication, education and ongoing supervision.
- Performs duties in an independent manner with little or no need for direct supervision.
- Identifies and develops personal areas for technical/professional growth.
- Participates in the development of policies and procedures.
- III. Human Resources Management
Human Resources Administration
- Demonstrates full awareness of hospital policies and bargaining unit contracts and interprets them correctly by taking appropriate action; usually requires approval/guidance from department director.
- Conducts employee performance appraisals on time in a fair and consistent manner.
- Documents employee performance and communicates appropriately with employee.
- Works with department director on recruitment, selection and retention of qualified employees.
- Monitors employee absenteeism and counsels employees as needed.
- Promotes teamwork. Is consistently fair and understanding of employee needs.
- Expands and broadens knowledge of professional skills.
- Identifies staff's need for continuing education and plans inservices to meet these needs on a routine basis.
- Formulates professional goals for self.
- Educates staff in goal setting process.
- Utilizes effective communication skills and encourages staff to do the same.
- Encourages staff to participate in departmental matters.
- Understands, adheres to, and implements policies as outlined in procedure manual and acts as a resource person for staff.
- Assists in developing, reviewing and revising department-specific policies and procedures.
- Participates in mandatory programs and facilitates staff attendance.
- Provides orientation to new employees.
- Identifies and addresses safety issues and or refers them to appropriate person(s).
- Consistently communicates effectively and expresses ideas clearly.
- Actively listens and follows appropriate channels of communication.
- Communicates in a courteous and professional manner with all hospital departments, physicians, ancillary services and the public to promote customer satisfaction on an ongoing basis.
- Encourages discussion of problems and concerns, the expression of ideas to the department director and/or staff and/or appropriate channels.
- Maintains concise, complete and accurate records and documentation in accordance with policies, procedures and standards.
- Maintain and respects patient/employee confidentiality.
- Evaluates and acts upon, where necessary, needs assessment or patient satisfaction surveys or feedback from the general public.
- Functions as a liaison between the customer and the Medical/Hospital staff.
Internal Customer-Employees and Departments
- Accurately identifies the internal customer and provides the necessary goals and services within department/organizational constraints.
- Is open to constructive criticism and attempts to make a positive change to service deliver
Medical Staff Relations
- Demonstrates a knowledge of department/organization (services, policies and regulations) in an effort to aide in the decision-making process.
- Acts as a liaison for patient/family/visitor/general public and staff with medical/hospital staff.
- Handles potential problem situations diplomatically.
- Educates staff to physician needs.
- Is viewed by physicians as one who is responsive, versatile and available.
- Communicates budgetary constraints to medical staff, when appropriate.
- V. External Customer Relations - Community Groups, Service Organizations, Physician Offices, Health Care Facilities/Affiliates
- Demonstrates an awareness of community needs through needs identification.
- Assists with interdisciplinary programming.
- Willingly accepts opportunities, making self available to community organizations or activities to increase and promote external customer