Clinical Pharmacy Specialist - Days 8:30am-5:00pm
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
Under the supervision of the Director of Pharmacy this position is responsible for providing expert analysis of pharmaceuticals at Saint Anne’s Hospital including, efficacy, safety, and cost considerations. This position will be responsible for the education of all healthcare professionals regarding the appropriate use of pharmaceutical therapy. As part of these responsibilities, it is expected that all activities including, but not limited to, therapeutic interventions, cost avoidance interventions, and any other related interventions be documented according to departmental procedures. This position will assist in the staff development of pharmacists through education and training related to the optimal use of pharmaceuticals. Additionally, this position will answer drug information questions and review pertinent articles from pharmacy and medical journals to ensure that the unique nature of the patient is addressed.
- Arrange and provide clinical training and professional development of clinical pharmacy skills for pharmacists.
- Provides educational programs for pharmacists and pharmacy staff, including, but not limited to, the provision of formal presentations to pharmacists, nurses, physicians, and other health care practioners on topics related to drug pharmacology, therapeutics, pharmacokinetics and appropriate use.
- Responsible for performing and staff development of Clinical rounding in ICU and other patient care areas as warranted.
- Serves on the local Pharmacy and Therapeutics committee to provide expert analysis of formulary medications, medication policies and drug use evaluations.
- Support corporate committees as requested, including, but not limited to Pharmacy and Therapeutics, Antimicrobial, Pain, Anticoagulation committees
- Answer drug information questions and review pertinent articles from pharmacy and medical journals.
- Participate in performing clinical evaluation of new medications.
- Assist and participate in regular clinical pharmacy staff meetings/huddles.
- Show potential cost savings (cost avoidance) of pharmaceuticals to the Hospital
- This position serves in a supervisory role when either the Director of Pharmacy and/or Clinical Coordinator are not available.
- Performs all other duties as needed or directed to meet the needs of the department.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Extensive knowledge of clinical pharmacy, especially as it relates to Antimicrobial usage
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
- Ability to work independently and take initiative over divers projects
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office products, including MS PowerPoint
- Education: A Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm D.) from an accredited college of Pharmacy
- Experience - Preferred is Completion of a PGY1 residency and PGY2 specialty residence OR a minimum of 3 years’ experience in a hospital clinical pharmacy and Board Certified (for example, BCPS).
- Certification/Licensure: An active registration as a Pharmacist in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Software/Hardware: MediTech, Excel, Word, Power Point
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.