Clinical Secretary Part Time Eves
The Clinical Secretary functions as a member of the administrative team by performing a variety of secretarial duties to ensure the smooth day-to-day operations of the clinical service. Duties include, but are not limited to, answering the telephones, making appointments, assembling and breaking down patient charts, scheduling, typing, transcription, billing, data entry, filing and authorization from insurance companies for treatment.
HOURS: 20 hour eves 5p-9p
• Answers and triages telephone calls, routes calls appropriately taking into consideration the priority of the call, takes messages, follows through with each message ensuring that the appropriate staff member has received the information, and provides routine information to callers.
• Greet all patients, visitors and vendors and alert appropriate staff of their presence.
• Schedules appointments for Outpatient Services according to office procedures.
• Demonstrates an understanding of various insurance carriers with knowledge of submitting and requesting referrals and/or prior authorizations, and utilizing systems to process all referrals as ordered by physician (POS devices, pre-printed forms, etc.)
• Prepares documents for billing Outpatient Services encounters, enters data, ensures that referrals are received, etc.
• Enter all charges for Outpatient Services provided by the department.
• Manages Revenue Recovery activities when insurance claims are denied.
• Types correspondence, forms and other documents as requested. Enters information into the computer system. Transcribes dictation of a highly confidential nature.
• Responsible for proper filing of information in medical records and forwarding to the Health Information Systems department appropriately as requested.
• Inventories and orders stock for the department to ensures proper supplies are on hand.
• Opens, sorts, and delivers all mail correspondence for the department.
• Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing computer systems and programs for scheduling, billing, and administrative purposes: IDX, Athena, MediTech, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access), etc.
• Maintains Professional Boundaries with patients.
• Performs all other duties as directed and has the ability to be self-directed and demonstrate initiative in performing duties to assist the administrative team.
Management of Time and Resources:
• Completes work assignments within an acceptable time frame.
• Uses time and resources to the best possible advantage for successful completion of job responsibilities.
• Develops and maintains efficient working relationships.
• Is reliable in respect to attendance and punctuality.
• Recognizes the importance of team efforts and partners with others to achieve positive outcomes.
• Participated as a member of the healthcare team to ensure quality services.
• Accepts responsibility for all work performed and takes appropriate corrective action as needed.
• Attends Staff Meetings.
• Offers creative solutions or alternatives to issues or concerns.
• Continually strives to improve the quality of work by participating in the Quality Improvement activities for the department.
• Responsible for ongoing development of his/her work skills through the use of available resources (i.e.: Steward University, inservices, formal educational programs, other work groups and on-the-job training).
• Assists in the orientation of others and actively participates in mentoring.
• Recognizes and seeks assistance/consultation when appropriate.
CUSTOMER SERVICE SKILLS:
• Is cooperative in interactions, treating customers with courtesy, respect and compassion.
• Is patient when responding to questions and answers questions appropriately.
• Responds to requests in a timely manner.
• Handles interruptions in a skillful way.
• Maintains a professional appearance and demeanor.
• Strives to prevent/resolve customer concerns to the customer’s satisfaction.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
• Word processing required.
• Medical terminology required.
• Data entry experience preferred,
• Knowledge of insurance coverage systems, including copayments, referrals, HMO, PPO and capitated products and experience with organization of medical charts preferred.
• 42 CFR – Part 2 law governing patient confidentiality in Substance Use Disorder Treatment Programs.
• High School diploma or equivalent with current relevant experience required.
• Administrative Assistant education preferred.
One to two years related experience, preferably in a health care setting.
• Basic computer skills required.
• Experience with Microsoft Office applications required.
• Experience with EMR, particularly Meditech, preferred.