Compliance & Privacy Specialist / Program Coordinator
The Compliance and Privacy Specialist / Program Coordinator is part of the OCCP team with duties and responsibilities related to compliance and privacy program operations for Steward Health Care System (Steward) related to coordination and communications, issue tracking, program records management, etc.
This position reports to the Senior Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer. The Compliance and Privacy Specialist / Program Coordinator needs to be a person of high integrity, and any other duties assigned should not be in conflict with Steward’s compliance and privacy program goals and objectives.
This position is responsible for assisting compliance and privacy program efforts at a Corporate Level and reports indirectly to the VP, Compliance & Privacy Program Operations.
The Compliance and Privacy Specialist / Program Coordinator is part of a team that is responsible for driving compliance and privacy program “operational excellence” (i.e., standardization, scalability, effectiveness and efficiency) system-wide.
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable health care compliance and privacy requirements and Steward’s compliance and privacy policies and procedures.
- Works collaboratively with OCCP team members and other functions (e.g., Human Resources, Revenue Cycle, Information Technology, etc.) in connection with principal areas of responsibility.
- Under the direction of the Senior Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer, tracks, maintains, and provides reporting of activities logged into ComplyTrack accurately and timely.
- Assists with organizational response and notification processes for any privacy-related incident requiring such.
- Assists with compliance communications which help to educate workforce members about key compliance principles and initiatives. Assists with promoting Steward’s Compliance & Privacy Program through a variety of media (e.g., email, intranet site, newsletters, Compliance Week activities, etc.)
- Works with the VP, Compliance & Privacy Operations to ensure that reports and questions received through various means are captured, tracked, addressed, and reported on appropriately.
- Assists with coordinating an annual process to check on the maintenance of Compliance Support Line signs posted at Corporate locations.
- Assists with the review and contribution of information needed for the OCCP quarterly and annual reports as assigned.
- Administers the program record management process for OCCP’s master files and records including but not limited to organizational charts, job descriptions, all deliverables and reports, printed materials (posters, flyers), etc.
- Provides administrative support to the Senior Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer; VP, Compliance & Privacy Operations; and System Deputy, Compliance & Privacy Officer for each Division (North, South, and West) in order to ensure the efficient flow of information to, from, and within the department, and performs project work as assigned (calendar maintenance, notifying of additions, changes, and cancellations as soon as possible).
- Provides administrative support to OCCP Team with general office duties, such as answering phones, processing check requests, expense tracking, filing, copying, etc.
- Reconciles all OCCP monthly expense reports to budget and notifies the Senior Vice President, Chief Compliance Officer of any discrepancies.
- Works with OCCP Team to maintain and update the System OCCP intranet web page.
- Actively participates and takes minutes for OCCP staff meetings.
- Distributes compliance industry information to the appropriate departments across the health system.
- Participates in health care compliance and privacy professional organizations to stay abreast of privacy and corporate compliance developments and leading industry practices.
- Cooperates with the regulators (e.g., CMS, OIG, OCR, State Attorney General, etc.) and other parties, as appropriate, in any privacy or compliance audits and/or investigations.
- Maintains time and effort reporting records as requested.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs, and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Knowledge and experience with general health care compliance preferred
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and analytical skills and the ability to function effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Position requires strong administrative skills, including use of computer software
- Ability to prioritize multiple projects and work independently
- Must have excellent customer service skills
- Must be able to exercise judgment in making decisions
- Able to interact effectively with all levels of management and effectively work with and coordinate the activities of multiple departments
- Ability to anticipate potential issues and proactively respond
- Good judgment and problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Must be adept at follow up, teamwork, and be detail oriented
- Responsible for the accuracy and timeliness of own work
- ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹Education: Associate’s degree in Business Management or Health Care or at least 5 years’ experience working in the field of healthcare compliance/privacy required, Bachelor’s degree highly preferred
- Experience: Experience in a health care preferred
- Certification/Licensure: Certification in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) desired
- Software/Hardware: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Internet Explorer, and PowerPoint skills required. Microsoft Access skills preferred. Prior experience with ComplyTrack software a plus.
- Other: Travel Requirements - Must have a valid driver's license, provide own transportation, and be able to travel to Steward locations using a variety of modes of transportation‹‹‹‹‹‹‹