At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
Responsible for the preparation and storage of hot and cold food items for the cafeteria, patient meal service, special functions, and outside programs. Maintains a high standard for sanitation in the production area. On a daily basis, prepares assigned recipes in proper quantities meeting established standards to ensure the highest in customer satisfaction
- Knows and practices the principles of quantity food cooking.
- Assures that foods are properly cooked to specified temperature.
- Takes corrective action to assure proper food temperatures (below 40 or above 140) as noted in the temperature records.
- Reports to supervisor food products of questionable quality (raw or cooked) to ensure quality food production at all times.
- Attends and participates, in a prepared manner, in scheduled meetings/in-service.
- Continues to evaluate and strives to improve the taste, smell, appearance, and texture of food to ensure high quality.
- Prepares all breakfast, lunch, dinner and special items for the patients and cafeteria following established standards.
- Reports promptly any potentially unsafe conditions.
- Alerts other employees of possible unsafe work practices.
- Maintains a clean-as-you-go attitude and sanitary work area to provide proper conditions for food production.
- Maintains clean and sanitary equipment/utensils using prescribed cleaning methods.
- Uses proper hand washing techniques at all times.
- Suggests items for café menu rotation.
- Prepares special requests accurately and on time.
- Produces recipes to the quantities determined to avoid waste or run-outs.
- Produces recipes and modifications for diets to ensure wholesomeness as noted by the taste panel.
- Follows standardized recipe cards to assure consistency of product from day-to-day.
- Determines which recipes to use first to maximize use of equipment.
- Completes daily pre-preparation and pull worksheet as assigned.
- Prepares foods for special functions, patients, and customers in a delicious and attractive manner.
- Adheres to sanitation guidelines to prevent food borne illness and possible spread of infections
- Assured that all food is properly chilled, covered, labeled, dated, and stored
- Demonstrates the competent usage of proper body mechanics, as trained, in all functions which require the movement of any object, by not incurring any lost time as a result of injury
- Maintains cook’s walk-in in an orderly and sanitary condition by ensuring proper storage, labeling, and thawing of all food products
- Maintains walk-in freezer in an orderly and sanitary condition by ensuring proper storage, labeling, and freezing of all food products.
- Records refrigeration temperatures in a daily temperature log
- Prepares food for special functions, patients, and customers in a delicious and attractive manner.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs, and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English
- Education: High School diploma or GED preferred. Elementary level required.
- Experience (Type & Length): One to two years high volume production cooking preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.