Cytologist, Cytotechnology - Full Time, Day Shift
Responsible to Trumbull Regional Medical Center for supporting the corporate mission, vision and values. Responsible to the Laboratory for performing of cytological tests and screening of gynecologic and non gynecological patient samples. Responsible to the customer for courteous, accurate, timely service.
AND MAJOR DUTIES
- Processes and prepares all cytologic specimens including gynecologic and non gynecological specimens for screening, including staining and labeling of slides utilizing prescribed techniques.
- Performs microscopic examination of cytologic specimens, assessing cell characteristics utilizing standardized nomenclature. Is responsible for preliminary diagnosis.
- Demonstrates proficiency in utilizing special equipment and microscopes. Participates in department QC program to comply with all regulatory requirements necessary for accreditation.
- Communicates directly with physicians about test results, obtains diagnosis and other pertinent patient demographic information to maintain accurate records.
- Assists pathologist in performing and examining fine needle aspirate specimens.
- Prepares stains, reagents and fixatives when necessary. Maintains general cleanliness of work area. May participate in training for new procedures and demonstrating techniques to others.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements reflects the general duties considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all the work assignments that may be inherent in the job.
Bachelor’s degree in Science required. After orientation, up to three month’s experience on this job is required to perform essential functions. Requires up to one year’s experience on this or related jobs in a hospital or healthcare facility to develop the judgement necessary to make appropriate decisions and to handle emergency situations.
Certification in cytotechnology by ASCP or NCA required.