Location: Steward Health Care
Posted Date: 5/19/2023
This position is responsible for pre-registering scheduled patients. The role includes, but is not limited to, collecting, and verifying patient demographic and insurance information, collecting, and posting patient financial liabilities, and assisting patients with questions or concerns. These efforts will result in increased net revenue by reducing bad debt and potential write-offs due to a lack of patient collections or front-end related denials. Interactions will be conducted with patients and other Steward team members to complete Pre-Registration functions.
- Conducts outbound calls and handles inbound calls with patients to complete pre-registration process (e.g., data intake, patient liability collection) and address patient questions/ concerns
- Completes Medicare Secondary Payer Questionnaire for Medicare beneficiaries during pre-registration process with patient
- Clearly communicates liability estimates with patients; collects liabilities and posts payments on behalf of patients
- Identifies potential need for financial assistance and works with appropriate stakeholders to create approved payment plans for patients when required
- Escalates instances where patient cannot be reached to complete pre-registration prior to patient’s DOS to appropriate stakeholders in accordance with departmental deferral policies
- Resolves patient demographic and insurance discrepancies as identified through automated quality assurance tool (Experian’s RQA)
- Thoroughly documents discussions and delivers excellent customer service when communicating with patients
- Supports departmental priorities and campaigns as needed
- Observes privacy, safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly
- Works cohesively with other team members to achieve departmental goals
- Completes assigned tasks effectively and within stipulated deadlines
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Fluent in English and Spanish required
- Excellent customer service and communication skills (verbal and written)
- Displays understanding of Revenue Cycle functions, flow, and operations
- Competent in core math skills required (determined by obtaining satisfactory score on competency exam).
- Experience level will also be a factor in lieu of educational requirements.
- Education: High School diploma or GED required
- Experience: 1-2 years’ experience in dynamic healthcare (clinic, physician, or hospital setting) or payer environment preferred
- Software/Hardware: Comfort with data entry using Revenue Cycle software, patient management systems, and Windows-based applications preferred; experience using Microsoft Office applications such as Excel and Word a plus