Deputy General Counsel
The Deputy General Counsel reports directly to the General Counsel and is responsible for the oversight of legal issues pertaining to hospital operations, physician contracting and practice acquisitions, insurance, managed care, human resources, compliance, litigation, corporate governance and transactional matters. The hired attorney will report directly to General Counsel and work closely with a team of attorneys. The ideal candidate will be able to work with minimal supervision. Attorneys coming from either a law firm or an in-house environment will be considered. Preference for local candidates, but relocation candidates will also be considered. This is an exceptional opportunity to join a growing organization that is in the process of building out their legal team! Very strong compensation and benefits offered.
- Assists the General Counsel with legal matters, including planning, organizing and managing projects assigned to lawyers.
- Provides legal advice in support of the strategic direction of the organization in the following areas: state and federal regulatory matters; physician contracting including acquisitions, independent contractor relationships, PSAs, and clinically integrated networks; day to day legal advice on Stark, the anti-kickback statute, and fraud and abuse laws.
- Provide expert advice to executive leadership on complex legal matters including insurance, risk management and corporate governance issues.
- Provides legal advice and support to divisional presidents and hospital management in connection with the operation of hospitals, FSEDs, hospital satellites, ASCs and other health care regulated entities owned or operated by the system.
- Manages outside counsel in transactional matters.
- Serving as counsel, along with the General Counsel and/or any retained outside legal counsel, in the litigation or arbitration of legal disputes.
- Develops or assists in the development of budget recommendations and manages outside counsel and vendor costs.
- Provides regular updates to General Counsel regarding system issues as well as recommendations for the development of legal methods and means of accomplishing desired results.
- Participates in the development of new organizational policies, procedures and programs.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
Must exhibit the following core competencies:
Must possess the following personal qualities:
- Be self-directed
- Be flexible and committed to the team concept
- Demonstrate teamwork, initiative and willingness to learn
- Be open to new learning experiences
- Must possess strong initiative as well as excellent management, team-work, delegation and problem-solving abilities.
- Accepts and respects diversity without judgment
- Education: Juris Doctorate.
- Experience: Minimum of 8 + years of experience in a major law firm or corporate legal department advising in the areas noted above. Candidate must have 8+ years of healthcare experience, along with regulatory and compliance expertise. Mandatory familiarity with Stark and Anti-Kickback Statutes, state and federal healthcare regulations, HIPAA and other privacy laws, billing and coding compliance and related regulations, Medicare and Medicaid issues and government investigations.
- Certification/Licensure: Member in good standing of the Texas Bar, or the ability to waive into the Bar of the State of Texas.