Diabetic RN Clinician - Per Diem/As Needed
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
1. Developes and directs the local Diabetes Care Program (DCP) to meet requirements for program accreditation by the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and other regulatory agencies:
2. Provides 1:1 and group Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support (DSMES) to patients referred to the program per ADA Education Recognition Program standards, Network DCP policies and procedures, evidence-based guidelines and referring clinician’s instructions.
3. Trains patients on use of home blood glucose monitoring and Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM). Inserts glucose sensors for professional CGM.
4. Initiates insulin administration and/or administers insulin and/or titrates insulin per DCP Insulin Titration protocol as ordered by the prescribing clinician. Occassionally administers other medications as ordered by the Endocrinologist.
5. Assesses readiness of patients wishing to initiate insulin pump therapy. Educates and supports patients on insulin pumps.
6. Inquires if patients would like referral to Registered Dietitian for Medical Nutrition Therapy. Requests orders as needed from treating physicians and assists in coordination of services.
7. Assists the primary care physician or specialist in tailoring diabetes management programs for their patients.
8. Provides age appropriate education considering each individual’s intellectual level, cultural and religious practices, physical and psychological barriers, motivation, and readiness to learn.
9. Documents assessment, treatment plan and follow-up of patients’ progress in the medical record.
10. Communicates summary of treatment plan and self-management training to the referring clinician.
11. Enters required information on patients into the Network DCP Diabetes Registry.
12. Provides educational offerings to the general public by participating in hospital-sponsored programs.
13. Provides consultative support and training to inpatients and hospital staff as requested.
14. Demonstrates knowledge of commonly used medications: action, dose and side effects
· Observes 5 R’s for administering meds:
· Demonstrates proper procedures in all methods of medication administration
· Monitors patients response and intervenes appropriately
15. Demonstrates ability to use critical thinking skills in all aspects of practice.
· Collates and integrates multiple sources of data
· Recognizes the limits of clinical judgment and seeks interdisciplinary collaboration and consultation
· Maintains a global grasp of situations, and utilizes nursing skills acquired through a process of integrating formal and experiential knowledge
· Functions appropriately during medical emergencies.
16. Maintains current knowledge/certification/licensure.
17. Functions as a role model for current and new staff.
18. Performs competently in fulfilling job responsibilities as required by the Division.
19. Directs other licensed and non-licensed personnel in the provision of care to patients as assigned.
· Demonstrates willingness to assume charge nurse role as required
· Delegates responsibility based on patient care needs, skills and competence of the caregiver.
20. Assumes all other duties and responsibilities as necessary.
· Demonstrates dependability/flexibility in meeting scheduling needs of the unit and Hospital
· Seeks opportunities to participate in decision making regarding standards, policies, practice and/or education
· Demonstrates knowledge and principles of Performance Improvement works as a team member to achieve Performance Improvement
· Participates in a minimum of 50% of staff meetings.
21. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
22. CORE Values
A. Compassion: Demonstrates a genuine concern for others (including patients and co-workers), and a willingness to continually seek to alleviate suffering, problems or other obstacles which impede the patient’s progress.
B. Advocacy: Acts as an advocate in addressing the needs of patients, employees, visitors, volunteers, the poor and the community.
C. Respect: Demonstrates a high regard for the worth of each individual person by showing respect to patients, families, visitors and co-workers. Evidences respect for and sensitivity to the cultural, ethnic and racial diversity of others.
23. CORE Work Behavior
· Accepts reassignments at the request of the supervisor, and performs additional duties
· Participates by offering practical suggestions in a constructive manner on how to improve service within the department or hospital.
· Maintains the confidentiality of patient, personnel, department and hospital information without exception.
· Dealings with others are straight forward and honest and demonstrates integrity in all instances.
G. Customer Service: Demonstrates on a daily basis a commitment to the principles of customer service.
· Performs work responsibilities in a manner that is consistently patient (customer) oriented.
· Strives to provide patient (customer) with compassionate service regardless of circumstances.
· Adheres to the values of courtesy, sensitivity, responsiveness, and professionalism in all interactions.
· Is open-minded and respectful of cultural beliefs, values and practices.
24 ADHERENCE TO HOSPITAL POLICIES
I. Acts in a manner consistent with the Absence From Work Policy (951-15).
· Employee completes all mandated orientation regarding Carney Hospital Safety, JCAHO, Hazardous Communications, OSHA and Blood Born Pathogen Regulations. Attends all mandated ongoing training/inservice programs as required by the hospital, with 100% compliance.
· The individual shows 100% compliance with all safety, life safety, and equipment management programs set forth by this institution in order to maintain a functionally safe environment for all patients, personnel, and visitors as required by JCAHO or any regulatory agencies.
K. Adheres to hospital and departmental dress codes, according to policy.
· Adheres to hospital and departmental dress codes, according to policy, with no more than one formal verbal warning per year.