Director, Behavioral Health
Steward Health Care Network (SHCN) takes pride in its community-based care model, which drives value-added tools and services to our communities, patients, physicians, and hospitals across the continuum of care. In addition, Steward Health Care Network promotes care coordination and collaboration within the network in order to provide high-quality, efficient care to patients. With Steward in the community, all residents can be sure that there is a world-class doctor close to where they live.
The network is also responsible for the implementation and execution of our managed care contracts, medical management services, quality improvement programs, data analysis, and information services.
Position Purpose: The Director of Behavioral Health will be responsible for the development and launch of the Steward Health Care Network Ambulatory Behavioral Health program. This team member will be responsible for strategic planning and coordination, building relationships with internal and external stakeholders and contracting with community partners. In addition to the strategic launch and oversight of the Behavioral Health program, this position will lead and oversee the daily operations of all Behavioral Health functions and has the responsibility to execute both short and long term Behavioral Health goals of Steward Health Care Network. The focus of the Behavioral Health program is to ensure that the patient, family, primary care physician, and the health care team receive comprehensive and coordinated care throughout the continuum. The Director role will be integral in developing and maintaining relationships with key community health partners including the initial and on-going relationship building, identifying and monitoring of key leading indicators and maintenance of the database of such partners.
- Developing an individualized holistic plan of care for the patient in collaboration with the patient/family/caregiver; performs a psychosocial assessment to determine Behavioral Health Behavioral Health needs and follow-up
- Developing and maintaining strong relationships with community partners which play a key role in providing services to our populations
- Each visit/telephonic interaction, demonstrates the skills and judgment necessary to implement the plan of care as well as any interventions or procedures necessary
- Identification of all situations involving the patient’s needs and works independently with the patient/guardian to rectify and manage those needs. Develops trusting, professional, caring relationships with patients and families, engaging respectfully and with utmost attention to service
- Assessing crisis intervention needs and acts appropriately to meet those needs
- Collaboration and communication with all members of the patient’s care team
- Providing consultation to CM colleagues and other members of SHCN’s staff for patients with BH issues
- Maintaining the current documentation requirements while always identifying ways to improve documentation and processes of collaboration and information sharing
- The Director evaluates and ensures that all organizational Behavioral Health programs and resources are used appropriately and effectively, and oversees the collection, analysis, and reporting of financial and utilization data related to all utilization management and performance improvement activities for both internal and external programs related to the at-risk populations. He/she is accountable for achieving established performance targets through actively engaging multiple disciplines and professional staff and has responsibilities for managing people, relationships, and processes to achieve maximized results. The Director ensures that the Behavioral Health department achieves its goals and objectives by engaging internal and external stakeholders in Behavioral health processes across the Steward Health Care Network. He/she promotes interdisciplinary collaboration, fosters teamwork across the organization, and champions performance improvement and goal achievement
- The Director of Behavioral Health is responsible for developing and implementing workflows, processes, tools and strategies to facilitate the coordination of organizational Behavioral Health needs and to drive results in all Behavioral Health programs. The Director provides leadership, direction, and support for the efficient and smooth coordination of patient Behavioral Health and leverages tools and resources throughout the organization to achieve quality outcomes, improved utilization management, and the achievement of programmatic goals and objectives. In addition, the Director will continually evaluate program effectiveness and facilitate key strategic business decisions regarding program development, implementation and enhancement
- The Director will oversee day-to-day Behavioral Health programs and staff necessary for Steward Health Care Network to become successful in delivering differentiated Behavioral Health services across all populations with a strong focus and emphasis on the Medicaid ACO population. He/she also works with the analytics team and others to define and continually improve the organization’s Behavioral Health reporting capabilities. He/she will work closely with senior leadership, network physicians, and staff to develop the process, tools, communication activities, and provider partnerships as necessary. In addition, the responsibilities of this role include working collaboratively with the health plans that have partnered with Steward Health Care Network and leveraging technological solutions as appropriate
Education / Experience / Other Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent amount of education and experience; Master’s degree strongly preferred
- Current Massachusetts RN license or Licensed Independent Social Worker, valid driver’s license, and insured vehicle to drive within the territory
Years of Experience:
- Minimum 3-5 years of ambulatory direct patient care experience
- 5+ years ambulatory behavioral health management experience; Medicaid experience a plus
- Possesses strong clinical background in acute or post-acute settings with focus on the delivery of high quality and cost-effective care
- Thorough understanding of health plan and regulatory rules and policies, including NCQA and URAC; understanding of utilization management criteria (e.g., InterQual); understanding of provider delegated relationships with health plans
- Recent patient Behavioral Health experience, as well as excellent leadership, team building, and communication skills
- Experience working with multiple provider types along the continuum of care, such as physician groups, hospitals, home health agencies, and skilled nursing facilities
- Demonstrates ability to problem solve and coach staff when necessary
- Previous management experience within a utilization management/case management department
- Self-motivated and assertive
- Demonstrated supervisory and management skills; ability to mentor and lead a staff team.
- Ability to collaborate with providers and administrators to achieve quality and cost-effective care
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with individuals at all levels within an organization
- Requisite poise, judgment, and trustworthiness to represent Steward Health Care Network to internal and external groups
- Maintains information in a confidential manner according to policy
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Steward Health Care Network is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment – with confidence and without fear.
Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [three-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience:
- Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families.
- A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout our facilities.
- A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient and colleague safety.
You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.