Director, Care Management
St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is a member of Caritas Christi, a Catholic Health Care System. As a member of Caritas Christi, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center pledges to: witness to Christ's healing ministry; foster excellence in care; commit to those in need; affirm the value and dignity of life;exercise justice and responsibility for the common good; and advocate for the poor and disenfranchised.
Our mission finds expression and is animated by the core values of:
SERVICE to a diverse community
EDUCATION and leading edge research
MINISTRY rooted in ethical and religious principles
COMPASSION and caring for the whole person
I. Position Function:
The Director is a registered nurse with strong leadership skills who assumes responsibility and accountability for the planning, organizing, development and coordination of the daily clinical activities of the Care Management staff and Social Work Discharge Planners.
Provides the administrative and regulatory detail and support to the Care Management Staff in an effort to accomplish the department’s goals and missions.
II. Job Relationships:
Reports directly to the Chief Financial Officer.
Works collaboratively with Physicians, Care Management Team, and other disciplines/departments.
Manages of the following staff:
- Care Manager RN Staff
- Social Work Discharge Planners
Has the authority and responsibility for the coordination of all the RN Care Manager activities in the clinical area
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
1.) "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers,
and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards."
- Functions as a strong leader and a role model in Care Management and assigned clinical
specialty, demonstrating competence in clinical judgment, coordinating care, and LOS
- Provides direct care management care to patients and their families in compliance with the
Nurse Care Management job description.
- Manages the "Lead Care Manager" program for leadership development of all the Care
- Manages patient flow, communicating to the Care Management staff to expedite admissions
discharges and transfers.
- Coordinates the
- Intervenes on difficult cases, supporting the activities of the Care Management staff in LOS
reduction, quality of care, legal and ethical issues.
- Exhibits flexibility and creativity in managing resources in response to changing
care management needs.
- Masters Care Management practice standards in relation to expected outcomes. Initiate
corrective action initializing appropriate channels.
- Works collaboratively with health care teams for implementation and revision.
- Anticipates and plans for staffing care needs considering census and acuity.
- Maintains excellent public relations by servicing as liaisons between patients, families and
the health care team.
- Assures patient confidentiality and masters the patient bill of rights.
- Responsible for the hiring and evaluation of Care Management Staff
- Develops and implements the fiscal plan.
Collaborates with MD and other disciplines in identifying and monitoring cost reduction
efforts for patient care load and department.
- Adjusts staffing to meet patient needs within established fiscal parameters.
- Collaborates with all disciplines over non-wage reduction initiatives.
- Is a strong leader in implementing LOS goals and maximize clinical efficiencies.
- Creates a positive work environment recognizing the unique contribution of each individual.
- Supports an interdisciplinary professional atmosphere.
- Recognizes escalating stress in the department and will provide/obtain the appropriate
- Demonstrates advanced critical thinking and decision-making skills.
- Demonstrates ability to use alternative approaches to view situations requiring creative
- Enhances decision-making capabilities by utilizing operational knowledge of other areas in
- Facilitates conflict resolution using critical thinking skills.
- Respects the input and contribution of senior care management staff.
- Evaluates personnel.
- Displays a willingness to focus and work toward a resolution of staff issues on an ongoing basis.
- Develops daily and monthly schedule.
- Conducts staff meetings, and disseminates information.
- Conducts extended stay meetings with care management staff.
Professional Growth and Development:
- Consistently serves as a role model of professionalism and accountability for practice.
- Encourages and support staff participation in department and hospital projects, task forces
- Cognizant of Policy and Procedure changes and keeps staff updates as appropriate.
- Participates in continuing education through attendance and/or participation in in-services,
grand rounds, seminars, conferences, and yearly Joint Commission requirements.
B. Responsibilities/Non-Essential Functions:
V. Reporting Requirements:
Reports all significant clinical issues and activities to the Chief Financial Officer.
Reports any significant issues or activities to the appropriate department or discipline
Is accountable for maintaining the confidentiality and security of all Medical Center-related, medical staff-related, and patient-related data and information.
Is accountable for abiding by all relevant
Is accountable for adhering to the budget.
Is accountable for supporting the development and maintenance of the staff's clinical competence.
Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree and Substantial Work Experience Required
Care Management experience 5 or more years.
Ability to problem solve and work collaboratively towards defending goals and objectives.
Strong leadership skills.
Strong communication skills, in-deepth knowledge of Care Management fiscal issues.
Ability to make formal presentations relative to clinical, educational, and financial issues.
Current license to practice Nursing in the
Must obtain 15 hours of Continuing Education annually to maintain license.
Ongoing training in Care Management and leadership.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic
Important COVID message
Please note, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence, and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled, and professional way.