Location: Morton Hospital
Posted Date: 12/6/2022
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
***ED Technician 32hrs/Days
The Emergency Department Technician (ED Tech) possesses clinical skills and expertise to assist in the delivery of direct and indirect patient care in the emergency department setting, under the supervision and guidance of the emergency department nurses and providers. This includes, but is not limited to, utilization of clinical multi-tasking patient care and prioritization skills to provide care to patients within the department setting. The ED Techs support the provider and nursing staff in bedside procedures, delivery of emergent resuscitative care and delivery of quality communication to patients/families of all ages who present with a variety of illness and injuries.
- Assists with patient assessment and care provision (under the direction of the registered nurse).
- Demonstrate ability to organize and multitask as a forward-thinker, and remain calm and personable in a fast paced emergency setting to support the timely flow and delivery of quality patient care.
- Perform tasks based on confirmed competency which include: accurately performing EKGs, accurately perform finger stick blood glucose testing and phlebotomy; set up for and assist providers with procedures to include gyn and rectal exams, laceration repairs and application of splints; assist with patient care cleaning, turning, ambulating and procedures.
- Assists patients in meeting nutritional and elimination needs.
- Assist in care of critically ill/injured patients; function effectively in emergent situations by serving as primary runner to obtain necessary supplies and equipment, assisting in the delivery of CPR/compressions.
- Safely and accurately place patients, as directed and necessary, on monitors; assist in the safe lifting (using lifting devices if necessary) of patients.
- Provide optimum customer service in all interactions; answer and respond to patient call bells, family/patient questions; routinely round throughout the department, ensuring patient care requests and needs are met or communicated to the provider / RN for follow up.
- Re-stock patient care rooms with necessary and appropriate linen and supply.
- Ensure bedside white boards are up to date/accurate.
- Responsible for the turning over of patient care rooms and assists with basic cleaning and preparation to ensure room is ready for when housekeeping arrives for their process.
- Monitor portable O2 tank supply to ensure availability of oxygen for patient movement.
- Check and restock as appropriate, specialty carts to include ENT and Suture Carts, etc.
- Provide efficient and effective collaboration working as a member of a health care team.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with other members of the team, health care providers, other departments, patients and their families. Assists with hourly rounding.
- Takes on responsibility to meet the critical patient care needs in the event of increased acuity, census to act as a sitter within the department and or transport patients in need of testing to the respective location.
- Demonstrates a willingness to learn and adapt to the dynamics of a constantly changing health care environment.
- Performs clerical duties assigned.
- Performs other duties as requested.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Knowledge of basic anatomy /physiology.
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
- Skilled in multi-tasking and ability to prioritize.
- Comfortable with use of computers and telephones
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, clinicians, and the general public.
- Ability to work under moderate pressure for extended periods of time.
- Ability to accept responsibility for accuracy and response times to emergent and non-emergent requests.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- BLS Certification
- Care of the Aggressive Patient / CPI/MOAB (available upon hire)
- High School Diploma or GED
- Two or more years of related experience and/or training in the health care setting
- Experience as an ED Tech or other role within the health care setting, inpatient or out patient.
Important COVID message
Please note, Morton Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.