Emerg Room Tech,17017,36 Hrs-7p-7:30am,EOW
This position is covered by the SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement
Participates in the general organization and functional operation of the Emergency Department and in delivery of care to emergency patients of all ages under the direction of the registered nurse. EKG's, Vitals, assisting with stabilizing patients, transportation of patients and patient care.
* Responds appropriately and immediately in emergency situations.
* Maintains a safe and healthy environment for patients, visitors, and/or staff to provide the highest level of physical comfort, and minimize risk and injury.
* Ensures compliance with regulations to maintain accreditation, licensure and certification.
* Completed all Hospital and Department Specific Mandatory requirements in the prior calendar year.
* Demonstrates knowledge and follows JCAHO Patient Safety Goals. Supports department specific patient safety and quality initiatives as defined by department manager.
* Understands and adheres to Steward Health Care's compliance standards and policies as they appear in Stewards' Corporate Compliance Program, Code of Conduct and Business Ethics; sponsors and implements initiatives to achieve the System's compliance goals.
* Models behavior consistent with Steward's Corporate Compliance Program, Code of Conduct and Business Ethics; ensures that staff are trained and evaluated on their knowledge of and adherence to compliance policies and standards specific to their jobs.
* Supports hospital and system-wide patient quality and safety practices as identified by National Quality Forum, JCAHO and system-wide Quality and Safety Plan.
* Performs clinical tasks of EKG, splinting, vital signs, fingerstick glucose testing, wound care, splinting, crutch walking, and patient activities of daily living.
* Performs specimen collection according to hospital procedures at the direction of the nurse.
* Assist providers with diagnostic procedures and exams (i.e. pelvic examination, lumbar puncture, suturing, etc.).
* Performs visual acuity testing on patients and documents as directed by the RN.
* Completes daily department stocking and checklists as assigned by the Lead ED Technician or Charge Nurse.
* Cleans exam rooms upon patient discharge or directs housekeeping to do so for rooms requiring terminal cleaning
* Responds quickly and courteously to call lights and patient and family requests.
* Greets patients and documents arrival time on the triage sheet.
* Obtains and documents vital signs on all patients before they are triaged, unless immediate treatment in the clinical area is required
* Assists with order entry or quick registration of patients in triage to expedite care.
* Assists patients who need assistance with transport from the parking area.
* Provides comfort measures for patients in the waiting area (i.e. blankets, ice, etc.)
* Acts as a liaison between the patients and families, triage nurse, clinical staff working inside and security.
High school graduate or GED preferred. Must be able to read, write and communicate at the high school level. Employees hired after January 1, 2006 require a CNA, EMT or Medical Assistant certified in the state of Massachusetts. Demonstrates clinical competency within the scope of practice of applicable certification. BCLS required.
Job Reference #: 17017