Location: Steward Health Care
Posted Date: 9/9/2021
(Briefly describe the overall purpose of this position - Why does it exist and how does it contribute to the overall organization?)
This position provides a workable strategy to effect change by facilitating or recommending appropriate referrals or preventative services, treatment and support for populations with alcohol, drugs or substance abuse. This position evaluates psychiatric patients in the Emergency Department and makes recommendations to the Emergency Department Physician as to the disposition of those patients.
(Use bullets for specific responsibilities)
- Performs confidential interviews, both in person and via telemedicine with patients to assess the needs of patients from referrals directed by the Emergency Department physicians/staff and documents the initiation of these referrals in the patient's medical record;
- Confers with related health professionals in relation to the need for interdisciplinary information sharing and treatment planning and uncovers barriers to care and develops an effective plan for alleviating these barriers to care for the safety and betterment of the patient;
- Documents assessments, interventions, and plans related to the patient's confidential medical record in accordance with HIPPA, industry, and compliance standards;
- Educates PCPs and clinical staff on alternative care management options;
- Provides education/consultation as needed to other mental health care team members and to health care consumers;
- Maintains current up-to-date knowledge of regulatory requirements;
- Actively maintains a valid license to practice behavioral health independently in the state of MA;
- Collaborates with other agencies for the education and benefit of the staff and hospital;
- Performs analysis and report of various metrics as requested;
- Participates in and or represents Community Health in community/hospital board/committee meetings as needed and completes/leads assigned Community Health Projects as directed;
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment;
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external);
- Provides culturally competent care;
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect to differences in cultures, values, beliefs, and ages, utilizing diversity and interpreter services when needed;
- Serves as a liaison with other service providers or community supports for the continuous improvement of services to patients;
- Provides education and support for clients to engage in their care, improve health literacy, and/or change their health behaviors (e.g. diet, medication adherence, compliance with doctor's visits);
- Collaborates with the Physician and clinical staff to identify high risk medical/social management patients;
- Makes referrals to community agencies when appropriate;
- Identifies potential legal or risk management issues and discuss with their supervisor;
- Participates in continuing education programs that are relevant to job functioning;
- Acts as a patient advocate and perform other duties as assigned;
- Involves other departments in project planning and implementation;
- Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible;
- Regularly attends and participates in team and or departmental meetings and activities;
- Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information;
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships;
- Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times;
- Abides by and upholds the hospitals service excellence standards;
- Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population; and
- Performs like services on inpatient medical floors as needed
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
- Skilled in the assessment, diagnosis, and disposition of Behavioral Health patients;
- Knowledgeable about services available to Behavioral Health patients;
- Computer skills are essential;
- Ability to read, write, and speak English.
- Education: Master’s degree (MA, MS, MSW) or Doctorate in Psychology or Social Work.
- Experience (Type & Length): 2-5 years’ direct experience required.
- Certification/Licensure: Licensure at the independent level in the state of Massachusetts; Licensed Psychologists, Licensed Independent Clinical Social Workers, (LICSW) or Licensed Mental Health Counselors (LMHC) are required to apply.
- Software/Hardware: Microsoft Office required; Meditech preferred.