Endoscopy Tech, Per Diem, REQ 29630
This position is covered by the SEIU Collective Bargaining Agreement
Assists Endoscopist during endoscopic and invasive procedures. Assures Endoscopy suite is adequately prepared for procedure. Monitors PAR level of all surgical instruments and supplies. Cleans and disinfects all appropriate endoscopic instruments. Participates in departmental staff meetings and performance improvement activities.
• Interacts professionally with patient and family.
• Provides patient with explanations and verbal reassurance, as necessary.
• Carries out medical/surgical clean during treatments/procedures.
• Maintains safe environment for patient, co-workers, and self, per facility policies and procedures.
• Checks all equipment/instruments needed, prior to each procedure, to ensure proper functioning.
• Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
• Prepares room in a timely manner with all anticipated instruments, supplies, and equipment for each individual endoscopy procedure.
• Demonstrates competence in care of specimens and accurately handles specimens at all times.
• Assists in the positioning of patients for endoscopic procedures
• Adapts procedures to meet individual needs of adolescent, adult, and geriatric patients for treatment.
• Protects patient's sensitivities and right to privacy; closely observes patient with minimal disturbance.
• Notifies appropriate licensed personnel when patient complains of pain.
• Follows clean technique when opening sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
• Performs services requiring technical or manual skills, under the direction of RN.
• Maintains an orderly instrument table for the purpose of efficiency; follows department standard set-up.
• Anticipates needs of surgeon during intra/procedure phase.
• Cleans and prepares rooms between procedures and after last case; restocks supplies, when necessary, and organizes effectively for end-of-case clean up.
• Assumes responsibility for care of equipment during intra/post procedure phase, including cleaning and processing of equipment.
• Consults with other staff members when in question or unfamiliar with equipment or procedure.
• Collaborates regularly with other members of the nursing team, in order to maintain equipment and supplies for endoscopy procedures.
• Establishes and maintains effective communication and good working relationship with co-workers for the patient's benefit.
• Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of facts and good judgment within the Endoscopy Room Technician's scope of practice.
• Makes decisions reflecting knowledge of the assigned case and instruments to be readied for the procedure.
• Utilizes initiative; strives to maintain steady level of productivity; self motivated.
• Organization and management of activities reflects due consideration for the needs of the department.
• Demonstrates competency to participate in Endoscopy call rotation.
High School graduate; certified nursing assistant licensed in Massachusetts preferred. Demonstrates clinical competency within the scope of practice of a CNA. BCLS required.