ER Tech - Emergency Services ; 32hrs / 2nd shift
Location: Saint Anne's Hospital
Posted Date: 7/27/2020
The Emergency Room Technician performs various patient care activities and related non-professional services necessary in caring for the personal needs and comfort of patients, under the ultimate direction and supervision of a registered nurse.
- Coordinates patient care activities for all ER patients including: departmental flow, logging, setup for procedures, documentation, discharge instructions, and coordination of other professional services as directed.
- Removes sutures/staples after the wound is assessed by the physician.
- Applies slings, ace wraps, cervical collars, wrist and knee immobilizers.
- Applies posterior splints to include, but not limited to: sugar tong splints, thumb spica splints, ulnar gutter splints when directed by the physician.
- Measures patients for crutches.
- Performs skin scrubs on dirty wounds prior to laceration repair.
- Provides wound care, applications of OTC ointments, Gelfoam, Silvadene, and applies aseptic or sterile dressings.
- Assist with gastric lavage as directed.
- Performs EKGs on critical and non-critical patients.
- Performs phlebotomy on patients.
- Determines a patient's oxygen saturation by using a pulse oximeter.
- Documents vital signs and all interventions on Emergency Department Clinical Record and signs full name.
- Considers age specific needs according to scope of service: Neonate, Child, Adolescent, Adult, Geriatric.
- Initiates crutch walking teaching.
- Reviews preprinted instructions with patients and refers all questions to the physicians.
- Sets up sterile instruments for procedures, being aware of applying sterile technique and its principles.
- Rinse, reassemble, and make ready Central Supply equipment for return to CSR.
- Orders, maintains, keeps track of inventory of ER supplies.
- Applies safety principles in testing and maintaining oxygen tanks.
- High School diploma.
- More than one year's experience, as a technician, in an emergency room preferred.
- Previous phlebotomy experience and/or EKG experience preferred.
- Basic computer literacy and BLS required.