Financial Counselor Full Time Evenings
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
***Financial Counselor - 40hrs/Sun, Mon, Tues, Wed,Thurs 2pm-10:30pm
- Screens all self pay patients, identifies solution(s) and facilitates patient payment and/or solution application process (manual and/or electronic)
- Collects and verifies patient demographic, insurance eligibility, and financial information/responsibility and accurately documents in hospital computer system(s)
- Follows up and obtains all documentation required for application processing and accurately enters information into hospital and external systems as appropriate
- Identifies via workflow technology current and prior patient responsible balances, educates patients on their financial responsibilities, and collects same
- Assists patients in establishing secured installments plans when applicable
- Interviews patients bedside or via telephone as needed to facilitate timely and effective payments and/or complete insurance solution application process
- Monitors, manages and actively follows up on active large self pay and long length of stay accounts ensure solution modifications in place for patients and optimize ultimate payment for the hospital.
- Establishes schedule for "walk in" insurance assistance applicants and facilitates application process for same
- Fields patient billing inquiries and refers to appropriate PFS staff for resolution
- Responsible for consistent and accurate use and execution of department SOP's (established operating procedures) and supporting tools, software, websites
- Meets performance standards established by Patient Access leadership, including but not limited to: quality, collections, customer service, screening/solution rates, productivity
- Keeps current with all internal and external policy and procedures that may affect reimbursement
- Works effectively with patient access peers and other hospital departments
- Delivers exemplary customer service for patients in accordance with hospital expectations Iguidelines
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Competent utilizing Microsoft office, e.g. Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Word (see below)
- Maintains working knowledge of private, public and third-party payer insurance and related regulations
- Familiarity and experience with Revenue cycle software, tools, and technologies
- Analytical, e.g. competent math skills (see below)
- Advanced knowledge of healthcare finance
- Knowledge of medical terminology
- Excellent customer service/communication skills required.
- Ability to work with a high degree of confidentiality.
- Atitude I familiarity with the tools, systems, and technologies to enable insurance verification and facilitate insurance solutions
- Comfortable with securing solutions for uninsured patients
- Knowledge of health insurance and reimbursement/billing required
- Ability to problem solve and follow through under ambiguous circumstances
- Education: Associate's degree preferred. High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Experience: 2-3 years in hospital registration/billing office/clinic with a current working knowledge of registration, insurance, and billing requirements.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Morton Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.