Financial Counselor, Patient Access, Full Time, Flexible Shift
Responsible for effectively completing patient registrations by verifying, updating and collecting patient demographics, financial insurance coverage data and collection of patient responsibility (copay, coins or self pay) for visit within the Emergency Department. Additionally, this position responsible for screening all uncompensated/uncovered patients for Medicaid eligibility and enrollment support/financial assistance services for community-based programs for which patient may be eligible.
- Obtain, verify and update all patient demographics, regulatory data, and financial information, utilizing a variety of tools, software and websites.
- Complete all registration fields in MEDITECH per above, verify insurance eligibility & coverages, coverage discovery (in the event patient reports self pay or insurance info not available), patient responsibility portion for ED visit - using integrated software for same.
- Partners with Clinical Documentation Liaison in the Emergency Department to identify patients who will be admitted and follow-up with patients to discuss and secure financial responsibility.
- Partners with local Provider Offices to coordinate and assign PCP if patient has none
- Meet in-person with patients in Emergency Department and (Inpatient units when/if needed and patient is admitted from the Emergency Department) to screen and complete full Medicaid application, if eligible. Educate patients on their financial responsibility and solutions for payment of financial responsibility.
- Collects the patient responsibility portion for the ED visit prior to discharge/departure of the patient from the facility
- Screen all eligible patients for Medicaid eligibility
- Assist with all steps of the Medicaid eligibility and enrollment process
- Ensure timely submission of Medicaid application based on state, local and program guidelines
- Ensure continuous outreach and follow-up with application once submitted for approval, to reduce the aging days on the account.
- Receives and maintains Certified Application Counselor (CAC) certification, if applicable.
- Meets performance standards established by leadership, including but not limited to registration quality, point of service collections, confidentiality and customer service.
- Responsible for knowledge and accurate use and execution of policies and procedures, supporting tools, software and websites.
- Responsible for knowledge and accurate use of CMS guidelines including: HIPAA, EMTALA, MSP, etc.
- Works effectively with fellow co-workers and all other hospital departments.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity, and demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Ability to discuss and collect patient financial responsibility
- Ability to work within various environments including: Emergency Dept, Central Reg, Bedside Reg, etc.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize and multi-task
- Medical terminology and/or insurance knowledge
- Bilingual; Preferred Language Based on Market
- Education: High School Diploma or Equivalent Required. Associates Degree preferred.
- Experience: 1-2 years of relevant experience required, 3-5 years preferred
- Certification/Licensure: CAC Certification, if applicable
- Software/Hardware: Microsoft Office and/or Medical Systems (e.g., Meditech)
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!Apply Online
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 124251