At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
The Financial Counselor reports to the Director and is responsible for assisting patients and/or families to access financial resources. The Counselor assists Social Services with guidance to those patients who may qualify for assistance through state, county, and federal programs. The Advocate is also available to patients and families to answer questions regarding their insurance give estimates of co-pay amounts, Performs in accordance with the facility’s policies and procedures. Follows the facility’s standards for ethical business conduct. Conducts self as a positive role model and team member. Participates in facility committees, meetings, in-services, and activities.
- Assist appropriate patients and families to explore options for financial assistance for medical services with referral to Social Services when appropriate.
- Follow up with appropriate patients and families for financial assistance needs.
- Obtain necessary insurance information for patients. Answer questions or directs patients to appropriate staff members for questions regarding insurance, billing, payment, and/or collection arrangements.
- Meet with patients to discuss estimated costs of therapies.
- Work closely with patients and Patient Financial Services (PFS) to resolve account balance issues and establish payment plans.
- Obtains needed prior insurance authorization for Home medications including oral chemotherapy
- Assist patient for “free drug replacement” from pharmaceutical companies.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current resources and programs to assist the patient’s need for financial resources, i.e., Social Security Disability programs.
- Assist patients and providers to complete Disability and Medical Necessity forms.
- Obtain authorization for outpatient medication.
- Maintain confidentiality in matters relating to patient and family.
- Interact with patients and families with a variety of developmental and socio-cultural backgrounds.
- Provide information to patients and families to reduce anxiety and convey an attitude of acceptance, sensitivity, and caring.
- Maintain professional relationships and convey relevant information to other members of the healthcare team within facility and any applicable referral agencies.
- Awareness of philosophy of care as it relates to Patient Financial Services.
- Demonstrates interview skills and clearly defines the problems and concerns to patients and family systems as related to medically-related financial needs.
- Initiate communication with peers about priorities.
- Relay information appropriately over EMR, email, telephone, pagers, and other communication devices.
- Accept assignments based on workload, priorities, and the qualifications and competencies of self and of other staff members.
- Work closely with other staff, coworkers, peers, and other members of the healthcare team to ensure a positive and effective work environment.
- Report to appropriate personnel regarding assignments and projects.
- Initiate problem-solving and conflict resolution skills to foster effective work relationships with peers.
- Report to work on time and as scheduled.
- Attend staff meetings, in-services, and continuing education.
- Contribute to annual reviews of peer performance as requested by the unit or area supervisor, manager, or director.
- Assist in the development of indicators, thresholds, study methods, and data collection as assigned.
- Respond to problems and opportunities to improve care and customer service.
- Support involvement in the hospital’s Performance Improvement (PI) initiatives.
- Participate in and maintain competencies required for the position and specific unit or area(s) of assignment.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills
Excellent communication skills to include oral and written comprehension and expression. Demonstrates ability to act with sensitivity as a patient advocate. Demonstrates interview skills and clearly defines the problems and concerns to patients and family systems as related to medically-related financial needs. Ability and willingness to exhibit behaviors consistent with principles for service excellence. Ability and willingness to exhibit behaviors consistent with standards for performance improvement and organizational values (e.g., efficiency and financial responsibility; safety; partnership and service; teamwork; compassion; integrity; and trust and respect).
- Minimum Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree required.
- Minimum Experience: Minimum 2 years’ experience in healthcare or social service environment
- Equipment/Software/Certification/License: MS Office; Meditech preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID messagePlease note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.