Full Time Surgical Tech
Assists with nursing care of the patient in the operating room and functions as a member of the surgical team to scrub or second assist.
- Always cognizant of patient allergies to latex and follows precautions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of anatomy and basics of operative procedure to be performed.
- Participates in Universal Protocol and Time out.
- Performs scrubbing functions during the patient’s operative/invasive procedure.
- Handles emergencies without difficulty
- Assures supplies/instrumentation are age appropriate
- Demonstrates flexibility in the approach to delivering patient care
- Demonstrates the ability to assist team during a Malignant Hyperthermia crisis
- Follows laser safety guidelines
- Participates in department fire drill
- Performs duties during conditions involving major trauma and cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Provides care in consideration of growth, development, and social needs of the patient.
- Recognizes and responds to priorities in patient care
- Consistently verifies medication with licensed professional nurse for: Medication, dose, expiration date and patient allergies prior to accepting medication on the field.
- Wears protective goggles/mask when scrubbed
- Acts as a resource person for professional and non-professional personnel.
- All instruments are retrieved back into their appropriate trays after cases are completed and are not thrown out by mistake.
- Always identifies expiration dates before accepting implants on to the sterile field
- Assures that all sharps are properly disposed of after the surgical procedure
- Broken or dirty equipment and instruments are managed and reported according to policy.
- Consistently follows standard precautions
- Consistently performs a surgical hand scrub as per Policy and Procedure
- Consistently performs appropriate gowning and gloving technique
- Demonstrates ability to scrub on GEN/VAS /GYN/THORAIC cases
- Demonstrates ability to scrub on ORTHO/NEURO/ENT/Maxillofacial cases
- Medications are labeled properly according to policy.
- Specimens are properly handled and labeled according to policy
Years of Related Experience:
- Minimum: 0-1
- Preferred: 2-4
- American Red Cross/American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Education: Technical School/2 Years College/Associates Degree
Specialized Skills (Required):
- Must have graduated from a formal surgical technician program