Location: St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
Posted Date: 12/1/2022
GI Tech - Endoscopy - 40 hrs/week (Days), Weekends and holidays as needed | BLS Required
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion, and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
(Briefly describe the overall purpose of this position - Why does it exist and how does it contribute to the overall organization?)
- The GI Tech is an integral part of the model of care for outpatients and inpatients receiving complex therapeutic GI procedures.
(Use bullets for specific responsibilities)
- Provides and/or assists with physical care needs and environmental support needs of the patient as appropriate
- Communicates significant patient factors in a timely manner
- Has knowledge of normal values for vital signs and O2 saturation and notifies RN of abnormal values
- Performs initial application and re-application of telemetry monitor leads and electrodes
- Assists with Endoscopy procedures. Prepares room for procedure and assists with turnover
- Assists MD with procedure including EUS Barrux, ERCP, EMR, application of abdominal pressure, manipulation of endoscopic accessory devices (e.g. forceps, snars, ballons, boogies, and cautery devices), and manipulation of endoscopes (eg. Maintaining endoscope position while the endoscopist performs complex tasks), and cleaning and preparation of endoscopes.
- Assists with collection of specimens/ Transports specimens as directed
- Assists with patient positioning
- Assists with care of recovering patient under the direction of the RN
- Demonstrates ability to respond productively in a variety of emergency situations providing direct and indirect patient care activities
- May provide emergency initial basic airway management while notifying RN of emergency situation
- Assists with inventory supply. Maintains inventory and restocks supplies in procedural rooms
- Basic knowledge and maintenance of tubes and drains
- Performs glucose testing and routine quality control
- Applies and removes the sequential compressive devices appropriately
- Accompanies patient at discharge as directed by the registered nurse
- Restocks procedural rooms/scope cleaning room daily
- Maintains and cares for special supplies and equipment, including suction canisters and monitors
- Transports patients
- Reports damaged or lost equipment and instruments
- Cleans and maintains all endoscopes used in GI procedures and maintains records
- Maintains cleaning room in a sanitary condition
- Adheres to cleaning and maintenance guidelines as established by manufacturing company and meets quality control guidelines
- Maintains record of tests performed on cleaning solutions
- Performs video capsule procedure and documentation
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to work independently and take initiative
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems to meet desired outcomes
- Able to communicate effectively
- Manual dexterity to perform job function
- Shall be accountable for maintaining patient confidentiality and security for all medical center related, medical staff related, and patient related data and information
- Interpersonal skills sufficient to work in close proximity to staff registered nurses, physicians and patients
- Ability to complete mathematical calculations required to perform daily tasks
- Ability to take directions from others
- Demonstrates mature and professional demeanor
- Education: High school diploma or GED required.
- Experience (Type & Length): Previous experience working in GI/Endo preferred
- Certification/Licensure: Graduate of CNA or Surgical tech program preferred
- Other: BLS required
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence, and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled, and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.