Histology Tech., Laboratory, Per Diem
Performs under minimal supervision, routine and specialized procedures on Specimens which are directly related to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases.
Reports to the Supervisor of Histology
HT/HTL (ASCP) registration or eligibility preferred. Recent experience in histology and immunohistochemistry preferred. High School Diploma or equivalent required. Associates Degree preferred.
1. TEAM WORK
A. Involves other departments in project planning and implementation.
B. Supports others in the department and provides help and assistance when possible.
C. Regularly attends and participates in team and/or departmental meetings and activities.
D. Keeps others in the department informed of relevant information.
E. Regularly offers and requests constructive feedback and coaching.
F. Establishes and maintains effective working relations.
2. SERVICE EXCELLENCE (both internal and external)
A. Welcomes patients/customers/employees in a warm, friendly manner.
B. Actively listens and constructively responds to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
C. Ensures that the dignity of the patient/customer/employee is maintained at all times.
D. Abides by and upholds the hospital's service excellence standards.
E. Respects the diversity of the patient/customer/employee population.
F. Demonstrates safe and effective use of equipment.
1. Responsible for embedding, cutting and staining of all specimens processed in the histology section of the laboratory.
2. Obtain, process and prepare specimens for subsequent testing as assigned.
3. Assist the pathologist with grossing of Anatomical Pathology specimens.
4. Perform quality control procedures and appropriate instrument checks, reviews and records these results.
5. Perform scheduled equipment maintenance to assure proper operation, records the procedures performed.
6. Participate in the orientation and training of new employees as assigned by the section supervisor.
7. Adhere to safety and infection control policies and procedures.
8. Establish and maintain a good rapport and cooperative attitude with coworkers and other employees as well as patients and visitors.
9. Communicate with physicians and other medical staff to provide information regarding patient data, interpretation and appropriateness of testing. Must show good judgment in determining when to refer such calls to the supervisor or pathologist.
10. Maintain patient confidentiality.
11. May function in a temporary capacity as supervisor as designated by the supervisor.
12. Active participation in special projects as assigned, coordinates with the supervisor in evaluating, implementing and revising policies, procedures, and methodologies.
13. Hours assigned by the supervisor, based on staffing patterns and as determined by the workload. On call for holiday, nights and weekends may be required to assist at autopsies and to process special requests.