Prepares dietary information for use by kitchen personnel in preparation of foods for hospital patients. Personally obtains meal requests directly from patients in accordance with patients prescribed diet and verifies any potential allergy/health related conflicts. Processes new diets and changes as required. Provides information to kitchen personnel of food requirements. Assembles patient’s trays and verifies accuracy to patient’s requests.
- Obtains appropriate meal selections on assigned floors from all patients
- Prints diet sheets and update menus based on diet order, diet changes, allergies, food preferences, restrictions etc
- Accurately serves food and beverages to patients in accordance to the patient’s diet prescription and allergies
- Accurately records all special requests by patients i.e food preferences, thickened liquids etc
- Verbally communicates patient concerns with either Patient Services Manager or Clinical Dietitian i.e. education needs, inadequate meal consumption, patient complaint
- Accurately prepares and delivers breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals to patients, including late trays
- Alerts unit staff (i.e. nurses, doctors) when patients need assistance &/or if clarification regarding a patient’s diet is needed
- Serves meals to patients in a friendly, respectful manner
- Rounds back with all patients to ensure satisfaction
- Follows infection control protocols as posted i.e hand hygiene, gown, gloves
- Maintains patient confidentiality
- Uses both patient identifiers when taking patient menus and delivering trays
- Always maintains a pleasant, helpful, and respectful attitude toward patients, co-workers, managers, and visitors
- Adheres to and actively participates in the safety and sanitation of the department
- Maintains cleanliness of and general maintenance of in-unit kitchenette i.e record temperatures, stock, discard out-dated products etc
- Follows FIFO (first in, first out) method when stocking both within the department as well as patient kitchenettes
- Collects patient trays, strips trays and work in dish-room
- Assists in other patient related assignments i.e. wrap silverware, portion applesauce
- Prepares patient sandwiches, fruit plates, milk shakes, toast etc as assigned; Basic knife skills (dicing, cutting, slicing)
- Answers phone calls in a respectful and professional manner
- Assist with Catered events as deemed necessary
- Records temperatures of meal and serves hot food on the tray-line
- Consistently maintains a clean, well groomed appearance and follows department policy for uniforms
- Responds to others in a flexible, helpful manner especially in times of increased activity, staff shortages or shifting priorities. Engage in teamwork.
- Keep with in the established time lines of the department.
- Maintains a clean work environment and adopts a “clean as you go” philosophy
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to read, write and speak and communicate in English. Strong communication skills required. Must be a team player. Must be able to lift and push fifty (50) pounds. Able to work independently and communicate well across disciplines.
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to perform basic math
- Basic knife skills (dicing, cutting, slicing)
- Ability to engage in 2 way courteous, respectful communication with patients, visitors, staff and managers
- Education: High school diploma or GED or equivalent experience
- Experience: Experience in a healthcare environment preferred