TITLE: Host/Hostess Nutrition – $15.00 - $22.29/hr Range based on Collective Bargaining Agreement with 1199 SEIU and years of experience.
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
Prepares dietary information for use by kitchen personnel in preparation of foods for hospital patients. Personally obtains meal requests directly from patients in accordance with patients prescribed diet and verifies any potential allergy/health related conflicts. Processes new diets and changes as required. Provides information to kitchen personnel of food requirements. Assembles patient’s trays and verifies accuracy to patient’s requests.
Union and Steward Benefits to help you live well!
- Low cost Medical/Prescription Drug Insurance through BCBS
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- 401k via Fidelity for eligible employees with company match
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Worldwide Travel Assistance
- Short- and Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Auto and Home Insurance
- Hospital Indemnity Insurance
- High diploma or equivalent required
- One to two years of relevant experience preferred
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Ability to read, write and speak and communicate in English. Strong communication skills required. Must be a team player. Must be able to lift and push fifty (50) pounds. Able to work independently and communicate well across disciplines.
- Basic computer skills
- Ability to perform basic math
- Basic knife skills (dicing, cutting, slicing)
- Ability to engage in 2 way courteous, respectful communication with patients, visitors, staff and managers
- Obtains appropriate meal selections on assigned floors from all patients
- Prints diet sheets and update menus based on diet order, diet changes, allergies, food preferences, restrictions etc
- Accurately serves food and beverages to patients in accordance to the patient’s diet prescription and allergies
- Accurately records all special requests by patients i.e food preferences, thickened liquids etc
- Verbally communicates patient concerns with either Patient Services Manager or Clinical Dietitian i.e. education needs, inadequate meal consumption, patient complaint
- Accurately prepares and delivers breakfast, lunch, and dinner meals to patients, including late trays
- Alerts unit staff (i.e. nurses, doctors) when patients need assistance &/or if clarification regarding a patient’s diet is needed
- Serves meals to patients in a friendly, respectful manner
- Rounds back with all patients to ensure satisfaction
- Follows infection control protocols as posted i.e hand hygiene, gown, gloves
- Maintains patient confidentiality
- Uses both patient identifiers when taking patient menus and delivering trays
- Always maintains a pleasant, helpful, and respectful attitude toward patients, co-workers, managers, and visitors
- Adheres to and actively participates in the safety and sanitation of the department
- Maintains cleanliness of and general maintenance of in-unit kitchenette i.e record temperatures, stock, discard outdated products etc
- Follows FIFO (first in, first out) method when stocking both within the department as well as patient kitchenettes
- Collects patient trays, strips trays and work in dish-room
- Assists in other patient related assignments i.e. wrap silverware, portion applesauce
- Prepares patient sandwiches, fruit plates, milk shakes, toast etc as assigned; Basic knife skills (dicing, cutting, slicing)
- Answers phone calls in a respectful and professional manner
- Assist with Catered events as deemed necessary
- Records temperatures of meal and serves hot food on the tray-line
- Consistently maintains a clean, well-groomed appearance and follows department policy for uniforms
- Responds to others in a flexible, helpful manner especially in times of increased activity, staff shortages or shifting priorities. Engage in teamwork.
- Keep within the established timelines of the department.
- Maintains a clean work environment and adopts a “clean as you go” philosophy
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Important COVID message
Please note, Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously canceled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.