HVAC Mechanic - Full Time - Monday to Friday
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
- Maintain working knowledge of all utilities distribution system within physical plant. (water, steam, electric, oil, natural gas, medical piped gas etc..) through use of "as built" blue prints and/or other documents.
- Performs and/or manages subordinates to inspect trouble shoots and repair as needed and/or directed. Heating, ventilation, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment throughout physical plant, including but not limited to the following items as per manufacturers recommended specifications. Chillers, pumps, motors, piping coils, valves, controls and sensor. Boiler, (steam) (hot water) pumps, motors, coils, valves, traps, control and sensors. Air handlers, motors, valves, pulleys/sheaves, damper, filters. Air compression, pumps, strainers, filters, regulators.
- Proficient in the use of diagnostic test equipment such as multimeters, amprobe, KWH, air and water flow measuring devices.
- Monitor and maintain necessary levels of parts and supplies related to heating, ventilating, air conditioning and refrigeration equipment, procurement by means of available vendors in accordance with hospital purchasing procedures.
- Interface and assist with other senior mechanics/staff subordinates and/or outside vendors to ensure timely and professional completion of tasks in accordance with all applicable local codes and/or regulatory agencies.
- Ability to perform independent duty as a shift mechanic. This includes but is not limited to performing basic and/or emergency repairs to mechanical, electrical and electronic equipment throughout physical plant.
- Assist management in managing the Energy Program and computerized Preventative Maintenance Program, along with evaluating cost effectiveness and management of new projects and/or routine tasks with subordinates.
- Just prior to completion of shift ensure all tasks with outstanding deficiencies area communicated to Director for evaluation, all outstanding deficiencies will be corresponded via daily log and signed.
- Subject to respond at any time to an emergency repair situation of HVAC equipment and/or fire, flood and power failure, In order to maintain a functionally safe environment for all patients, staff and visitors including emergency call after normal work shift.
- The individual shows themselves to be dependable and competent by adhering to the following departmental guidelines pertaining to time management, communication, personal conduct, and regulatory agency guidelines.
- Where operational considerations dictate, employee shows they put hospital interests at a high priority by their willingness to fill shifts where needed and staying late if necessary on an emergency basis.
- Employee displays proper motivation by making the best use of their time performing facilities operational tasks.
- Ability to switch medical gas tanks as needed
- The individual shows themselves to be dependable and competent by adhering to the following departmental guidelines pertaining to communication.
- Employee follows procedures set forth by management for proper Facility Communication (checks daily log book, makes entries in log book and signs.)
- Employee locates and informs Facilities Management and Department Manager affected if they are going to shut any systems/room that may affect the proper operation of the Hospital. This must be documented and signed off by management and clinical staff.
- Employee informs management of dangerous or possibly life threatening equipment failures encountered.
- Employee informs management of any critical jobs left unfinished so following shift may finish up and notify Dept. Mgr.
- In addition to hospital wide standard related to safety, individual adheres to all safety, life safety, and equipment management programs as required by TJC and all other regulatory agencies.
- Where required employee uses protective gear when operating power tools and equipment.
- When a faulty piece of equipment is found, employee notifies Director and Electrician to power off electrical feed, steam feed, locks it out and tags it to avoid any accidental start-up before any repair work is done.
- Employee keeps work area clean on a daily basis and free of debris so as to not pose a safety hazard.
- Performs all other duties required and/or assigned by Maintenance management or their designee.
- As required by law and or employee's position, employee must procure and maintain a Massachusetts Refrigeration Technician License/Refrigerant Handling Certification, and remain knowledgeable of code changes as pertaining to the use and/or safe storage of fluorocarbon-laden refrigerants. Ability to work in hot or cold climates.
- At start of each shift read daily log, readbook, and review Building Automation/Energy Management System, so individual can become familiar with present condition in Physical plant thus enabling him/her to prioritize shift duties for subordinates and himself/herself.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
- Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
- Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Ability to work independently and take initiative
Good judgment and problem-solving skills
Strong communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
Ability to lift heavy objects, such as pumps, motors, beds, stretchers chemical barrels, air conditioning chassis etc., also ability to work from heights with equipment such as ladders and or staging
Education: High School Diploma
Experience (Type & Length): 2-3 Years
Certification/Licensure: HVAC certification, Refrigeration License, Recovery
Important COVID message
Please note, Carney Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.