Internal posting 1.8.20-1.15.20
According to established policies and procedures, the medical Secretary is responsible for scheduling, referral management, check-out, telephone triage, and general office functions. Depending upon location, may also be responsible for patient reception/registration. Refer to Receptionist Job Description if applicable. Performs in accordance with the facility's policies and procedures. Follows the facility's standards for ethical business conduct. Conducts self as a positive role model and team member. Participates in facility committees, meetings, in-services, and activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Courteously answers the phone, screens and triages calls appropriately. Receives messages, prescription refill requests and performs other telephone duties as required.
2. Demonstrates courteous, professional, and cooperative behavior towards patients, visitors, coworkers, and providers.
3. Performs duties as a team member, integrating activities with fellow employees and providers.
4. Schedules appointments accurately and efficiently within established scheduling protocols.
5. Coordinates mail processing for office to include: receipt of record releases, copying of records, mailing of records / correspondence, and responding to other general office requests via mail.
6. Manages physician schedules by following up on patient no-shows, sending out reminder cards, and/ or providing telephone reminders for office visit in accordance with established protocol.
7. Reports the use of supplies for reordering and maintains practice so that it is always neat and clean.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent. At least 2 years of prior medical secretary or medical office experience.
Skills and Abilities Required:
Experience managing a multi-line phone system, experience with computer systems and the ability to type, strong understanding of medical terminology, understanding of different insurance plans and referral procedures preferred. Must be flexible, customer / patient focused, possess a positive attitude, strong learning aptitude and the ability to work well both independently and on a team in a fast paced environment. Bi-lingual communication skills are a plus.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to walk; stand; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit. May be exposed to various patient conditions including infectious diseases, blood, and bodily fluids. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions