- Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards.
Receives, logs–in, and assigns computer accession numbers to specimens (bloods, urines and body fluids) from nursing floors, outpatient drawing sites and off–site locations.
- Distributes to appropriate testing sites.
- Verifies upon receipt, that all samples are labeled according to laboratory policy.
- Identifies and resolves problems and/or errors in a timely manner.
- Correctly labels tubes with Bar coded labels.
- Notifies laboratory staff of specimen to be tested.
Transports specimens from the Lab Control area to laboratory departments
- Delivers specimens to appropriate laboratory within one–half (1/2) hour of receipt.
- Delivers STAT specimens immediately to laboratory sections after receipt of specimen.
Registers Outreach patients utilizing Hospital Computer system.
- Completes all required fields with correct information.
- Verifies all information for accuracy and resolves problems/errors in a timely manner.
- Has general knowledge of ICD-10 coding and records this information when registering patients.
Calls/faxes/delivers reports to areas as required.
- Calls completed results to doctors’ offices in a timely manner when requested.
- Notifies VNA, nursing home, physician or nursing units of STAT or abnormal results when requested.
- Documents calls with name of person receiving information, date and time, utilizing the Hospital computer system appropriately.
Attends all required Safety Training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, specific job‘related hazards.
- All required safety education programs have been attended.
- Provides complete and accurate responses to safety questions.
- Operates assigned equipment and performs all procedures in a safe manner as instructed.
- Maintains work area and equipment in condition required by department standards.
- Demonstrates proper body mechanics in all functions.
Follows recommended procedures for Universal Precautions and safety policies as established in the laboratory. Decontaminates work area daily. When handling blood and/or body fluids, Universal Precaution procedures will be followed in order to minimize exposure to infectious diseases.
- Wears gloves when handling all patient samples.
- Decontaminates work area at end of shift.
- Closes and safely prepares for disposal biohazard containers in work area.
- Follows established policies for safety dress.
- Disposes of used gloves in biohazard container only.
- Demonstrates knowledge of techniques, procedures and correct use of protective barrier equipment.
- Assures a safe environment by instituting appropriate control measures.
- Attends annual education programs.
- Acknowledge that it is my responsibility to maintain competency for all tasks and duties that I am responsible to perform.
Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment.
- Interacts with all of the above in a considerate, helpful and courteous manner as observed by Supervisor and peers.
- Fosters mature professional relationships with fellow employees in a courteous, friendly manner as measured by management observation and peer input.
- Maintains professional composure and confidence during stressful situations.
- Maintains open communication using appropriate chain of command regarding issues.
- Conducts all work activities with respect for rights and wishes of patients, visitors, families and fellow employees.
- Maintains confidentiality of all Hospital and patient information at all times as observed by peers and management.
- Presents neat appearance in proper attire and identification as required by the position, department, and Caritas Carney Hospital policy.
- Continuously displays a "can do" attitude within the department and across departmental lines to contribute to the overall customer service program in place at Caritas Carney Hospital.
Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter and intra departmentally to facilitate the department's/unit's ability to meet its goals and objectives.
- Participates in staff meetings as determined by Supervisor.
- Supports the Hospital's mission, policies and procedures through attendance and participation at committee meetings, if applicable.
- Utilizes automated system to communicate inter and intra departmentally, as appropriate.
- Will access and respond to E‘Mail messages in a timely manner.
- Completes work assignments on time/readily accepts assignments as observed by Supervisor.
- Reports to work on time and is at work as scheduled, as observed by Supervisor.
Prepares, sends out and results reference laboratory work.
- Prints daily checklists, checks and verifies specimens have been sent out.
- Check for outstanding/missing specimens and resolves appropriately.
- Prepares batches for transport to reference lab.
- Electronically retrieve or manually enter results from reference lab.
Answers phones and gives reports to nursing floors, physicians and Outreach facility.
- Answers phone in a proper and courteous manner, identifying oneself.
- Gives reports accurately and completely, requiring a read-back of information to verify accuracy.
- Transfers calls when necessary to appropriate area.
- Relays messages that are complete and accurate.
Generates and distributes laboratory reports and mails reports to non‘staff physicians as needed.
- Generates computer reports according to department schedule.
- Faxes reports when required.
- Mails reports to non–staff physicians within 24 hours.
Communicates with the other departments regarding status of specimens collects and files requisitions from laboratory sections daily.
- Communicates the status of specimens with other laboratory sections as needed.
- Collects and files requisitions at the beginning of shift.
Records daily temperatures of refrigerators and freezers in specimen processing area.
- Records temperatures daily.
- Notifies Supervisor if temperature falls outside of established limits.
Under the direction of the Director, will help in the training and orientation of new employees.
- Works with new employees to assist in training of departmental procedures.
- Acts as a resource to new employees.
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
1. Commits to recognize and respect cultural diversity for all customers (internal and external).
2. Communicates effectively with internal and external customers with respect of differences in cultures, values, beliefs and ages, utilizing interpreters when needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned