Lab Quality Specialist / Lead Tech
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized health care with dignity, compassion and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you
Lab Quality Specialist / Lead Tech
Quality Specialist/Lead Tech leads and coordinates daily operation and functions in any or all divisions of the clinical laboratory. Provides assistance to the Core Lab Section Head in the day-to-day operations of the laboratory.
Under the guidance of the Laboratory Supervisor, Chief of Pathology or Core Lab Section Head the Quality Specialist/Lead Tech is responsible for:
- Assuring compliance by department personnel with professional and departmental standards, policies and procedures, and requirements of accreditation and regulatory agencies
- Responsible for monitoring test analyses and specimen examinations to ensure that acceptable levels of analytic performance are maintained.
- Responsible for assuring all remedial actions are taken whenever a test system deviates from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Responsible for ensuring that patient test results are not reported until all corrective actions have been taken and the test system is properly functioning.
- Processes specimens appropriately, meeting specimen testing requirements consistently, and aliquoting specimens accurately
- Reports results in a timely manner. Consistently and appropriately prioritizes STAT specimens
- Checks pending lists according to laboratory policy and resolves all issues. Resolution is documented appropriately and communicated to the next shift. Makes oneself available to receive shift report from the previous shift
- Verifies, calls, and documents all critical values according to hospital policy.
- Performs and documents all scheduled daily, weekly, and monthly maintenance.
- Performs specimen processing at accessioning bench as required Responsible for maintaining a high level of inspection readiness, including personnel qualification, training and competency, oversight of proficiency testing program and test methodology studies including linearities, correlations, calibrations, and validations.
- *Reviews Quality Control results for completeness and accuracy, and documents resolutions for out-of-control tests.
- Records, reviews, certifies, and reports test results as required
- Verifies, calls, and documents all critical values according to hospital policy
- Establishes service priorities, work routine and flow patterns and monitor workflow to assure prompt and efficient delivery of services.
- Assists with staff review, education and sign off of new and revised policies and procedures.
- Effects cost control measures in the utilization of personnel, supplies, materials, equipment, etc.
- Assists in the hiring and training process of new laboratory personnel.
- Integrates students and assigns them to departments as determined by curriculum and clinical experience requirements.
- Maintains proper functioning of laboratory equipment, calls for and documents maintenance and repairs defective equipment, purchases laboratory supplies to maintain adequate inventory.
- Attends meetings (administrative, departmental, divisional, and operational) as required. Participates on committees as required / requested
- Assumes responsibility for oversight of the laboratory in absence of the Core Lab Section Head.
- Perform other duties as requested/required
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Must possess good communication skills, problem solving skills and demonstrate leadership abilities
- Must be able to work independently and promote teamwork
- Must be able to plan, organize and prioritize work duties to accomplish daily objectives.
- Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree in chemical, biological or clinical laboratory science or medical technology AND have at least 2 years laboratory training or experience, or both.
- Experience (Type & Length): 5 years of supervisory/charge laboratory experience preferred. Management experience preferred.
- Certification/Licensure: ASCP certification preferred
Equal Opportunity Employer
Steward Health Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. Steward Health Care does not discriminate on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression or any other non-job-related characteristic.
Important COVID message
Please note, Saint Anne’s Hospital is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.