Laboratory Medical Technologist Biology Research - Part Time - Varied shifts - Days, Eve, Nights
At Steward Health Care System, we are committed to improving the health of our communities by delivering exceptional, personalized behavioral health care with dignity, compassion, and respect. Our continued focus on the patient experience informs our caregivers in how to provide care that is respectful of and responsive to individual patient and family preferences, needs and values.
We dedicate ourselves in the communities we serve to delivering affordable health care to all and being responsible partners. No matter what your role, as a member of the Steward family, you are a specialist in the making every patient and family feel right at home, every co-worker a key to our success, and every referring practice, a team of prized colleagues.
In support of this, we commit ourselves to the following values:
If you are seeking a fast-paced, challenging position in an organization committed to achieving and maintaining a standard of excellence in all we do, our organization may be a good fit for you.
We are hiring a full time Medical Technologist / Med Tech in our Core Laboratory Microbiology.
Shift: Part Time - variety of shifts Days, Evenings & Nights; weekends and holidays required as needed.
Qualifications: Minimum Education:
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Technology or a related science, attainment of degree within 6 months of start date,
- Associate's degree in Medical Technology, or attainment of degree within 6 months of start date, with 2 years full time experience desired.
Generalist multi-categorical certification, ASCP, NCA or HEW preferred or equivalent.
I. Position Function:
- Process and perform routine and specialized laboratory testing on blood, urine, tissue, and other body fluid secretions. Proficiently functions as a technologist in one or more of the following areas: - Clinical Chemistry - Clinical Hematology
- Works collaboratively as a team to monitor and maintain instrumentation, ensure appropriate quality control and to continuously pursue quality improvement in all aspects of laboratory function. Interfaces with staff and health care providers as required to meet customer expectations for laboratory service.
II. Job Relationships: Reports to section Supervisor. Works collaboratively with staff in the following departments: - Specimen Processing - Phlebotomy - Couriers
III. Authority: To report and/or reject specimen results as related to acceptable completion of preventive maintenance and quality control protocols. To request assistance as necessary from the Supervisor or Clinical Engineering. To discuss patient test outcomes with the patient's health care provider.
IV. A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- "Provides superior customer service to internal and external clients, customers, and patients as referenced in the Service Excellence Standards." Demonstrate test multitasking abilities as a contributing member of a multi-disciplined laboratory section. Supports medical center and departmental mission of excellence in service by continuously pursing quality improvement.
- Follows established procedures to perform routine, STAT or special tests recording all results accurately and meeting standards for complete and timely reporting. Demonstrates competence in all scheduled test protocols by successful challenge on periodic and annual basis.
- Follows all organizational, departmental, and section policies (i.e. Universal Precautions, Fire Safety, QA documentation, Hazardous Waste Collection).
V. Reporting Requirements:
Reports daily via the LIS, the results of testing to health care providers. Reports in numerical form, canned message format and free text. Reports problems, issues/client concerns as soon as detected to the section Supervisor. Verbally reports patient testing on demand. Reports laboratory problems on action logs. Shall be accountable for abiding by all hospital policies and procedures. Shall be accountable for individual timeliness of reporting. Shall be accountable for the completion of all preventive maintenance and quality control logs. Shall be accountable for the quality of testing reported.
Important COVID message
Please note, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence, and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled, and professional way.