Lactation Consultant-Obstetrics-24 Hrs/Week-Day/Evening Rotator-Weekends As Needed
(Briefly describe the overall purpose of this position - Why does it exist and how does it contribute to the overall organization?)
According to organizational policies and procedures responsible for the overall coordination, planning and management of patient and family education related to breastfeeding for SEMC. Serves as breastfeeding leader ensuring that care team practices and education provided are consistent with AWONN Standards. Meets all requirements of Lactation Consultant. Incumbent will work in accordance with accepted practices and general directives received from providers. Incumbent is expected to analyze problems and take appropriate action. Must be able to perform work duties with minimal direction. Identifies when to clarify information/data with providers and/or Manager. Actively promotes breastfeeding and assists mothers in reaching their own goals for breastfeeding. Develops and implements standards of care and guidelines for assisting breastfeeding mothers. Adjusts teaching plan to meet patient and family needs and evaluates the effectiveness of patient and family education. Oversees nurse practice for adherence. Establishes and maintains evidence based protocols. Shares accountability with management team for breastfeeding core measure outcomes.
(Use bullets for specific responsibilities)
1. Maintains current knowledge/certification.
2. Provides breastfeeding intervention to mother/infant based on identified patient needs by primary nurse and/or caregiver and in collaboration with them.
3. Functions as a role model and provides support and development for current and new staff.
4. Provides ongoing counseling for women who need breast feeding aids and individualized instruction regarding breast feeding problems, breast pumping, and storage of milk.
5. Assists in identifying and meeting needs of breast feeding women.
6. Assists mothers with breastfeeding aids under the direction of the lactation consultant.
7. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job‘related hazards.
8. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/bloodborne and airborne pathogens.
9. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
10. Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter- and intradepartmentally to facilitate the unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
11. Performs other duties as requested.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled