Lactation Consultant - Per Diem
Lactation Consultant - Per Diem
According to organizational policies and procedures responsible for the overall coordination, planning and management of patient and family education related to breastfeeding for SEMC. Serves as breastfeeding leader ensuring that care team practices and education provided are consistent with AWONN Standards. Meets all requirements of Lactation Consultant. Incumbent will work in accordance with accepted practices and general directives received from providers. Incumbent is expected to analyze problems and take appropriate action. Must be able to perform work duties with minimal direction. Identifies when to clarify information/data with providers and/or Manager. Actively promotes breastfeeding and assists mothers in reaching their own goals for breastfeeding. Develops and implements standards of care and guidelines for assisting breastfeeding mothers. Adjusts teaching plan to meet patient and family needs and evaluates the effectiveness of patient and family education. Oversees nurse practice for adherence. Establishes and maintains evidence based protocols. Shares accountability with management team for breastfeeding core measure outcomes.
(Use bullets for specific responsibilities)
1. Maintains current knowledge/certification.
2. Provides breastfeeding intervention to mother/infant based on identified patient needs by primary nurse and/or caregiver and in collaboration with them.
3. Functions as a role model and provides support and development for current and new staff.
4. Provides ongoing counseling for women who need breast feeding aids and individualized instruction regarding breast feeding problems, breast pumping, and storage of milk.
5. Assists in identifying and meeting needs of breast feeding women.
6. Assists mothers with breastfeeding aids under the direction of the lactation consultant.
7. Attends all required safety training programs and can describe his/her responsibilities related to general safety, department/service safety, and specific job‘related hazards.
8. Follows the hospital exposure control plans/blood borne and airborne pathogens.
9. Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors, and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible, and courteous environment.
10. Promotes effective working relations and works effectively as part of a department/unit team inter- and interdepartmentally to facilitate the unit’s ability to meet its goals and objectives.
11. Performs other duties as requested.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
(Examples: Ability to work independently and take initiative; Good judgment and problem solving skills; Communication skills; Interpersonal and organizational skills; Level of confidentiality)
Important COVID message
Please note, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center is taking additional, necessary preparations to ensure patients can receive compassionate care in a safe, carefully managed environment - with confidence and without fear. Our Safe and Ready program consists of a rigorous [five-point] standard ensuring patient safety, confidence, and convenience: Expanded hours will allow previously cancelled procedures to be scheduled as quickly as possible. Any COVID-19 related care takes place in designated areas away from other patients and their families. Emergency Departments are reorganized to be a safe place to treat all emergency patients. A stringent cleaning policy has been implemented throughout the hospital. A strictly controlled visitor and masking policy is required for patient safety. You can rest assured that we have made the necessary preparations to provide care in a safe, controlled, and professional way.
This position is subject to the COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for Steward Health Care Workforce. Employees in this position will be required to provide adequate proof of vaccination for COVID-19 by an FDA-approved vaccine prior to starting work. Steward will consider requests for exemptions from this vaccine requirement on the basis of medical condition or sincerely held religious belief in accordance with applicable Federal laws.